10 Pieces Of Advice For My Sister On Her 10th Birthday

Now that you're double digits, you may need some advice on what's to come.

334
Miya Leykauf

Being an older sibling comes with a lot of responsibility. You have to make sure you prepare the little one for all that is to come. This year my little sister is turning ten years old, which not only makes me feel old but also reminds me that she’s going to need a few tips to get her through the pivotal moments in her life that are approaching quickly.

1. Take advantage of all the opportunities that you a granted

Want to run for class mayor? Do it. Don’t hold back just because your best friend is doing it too.

You don’t want to be left with never knowing if you could’ve achieved something amazing. Have the courage to step up and do what you really want to do regardless of whether you think you are going to fail or not.

2. Always be kind

It’s so easy to be wrapped up in the drama and talk down about people you don’t truly know. Just following the saying, “Treat others how you wanted to be treated,” because it is so true!

3. Be yourself

You will go through phases, but at the end of the day, it’s important to always be yourself. If one of your friends is trying to change you then they aren’t really your friend. You are great the way that you are, and no one should change that.

4. Listen to mom!

It’s true that mother knows best. The first person I call when I run into a problem is mom, so just take advantage of her advice while you’re still close because I promise 9/10 she is going to lead you in the right direction.

5. Give school everything that you have

School is going to get hard and very annoying, but it’s all worth it I promise.

Don’t slack off in class just because you don’t think you’ll ever use fractions in real life. You want to be able to say that you put everything into your education and give yourself the best chance when going off to college.

6. Don't be afraid to take risks

Putting yourself out there can be scary, but if you really want to do something… go for it!

Nothing is stopping you other than yourself, and I know that you have what it takes to accomplish anything if you really put your mind to it.

7. Spend your time with the people you love most

Don’t waste your time sitting in your room watching TV or with your eyes glued to your phone. Spend your time doing more meaningful things with people who won’t be around forever. Those are the memories you will remember when you get older.

8. Try your best

This goes for so many different situations. If you know that you tried your best, then that’s all that really matters.

9. Learn from your mistakes

You’re going to make mistakes…it’s inevitable, but what is most important is that you learn from the mistakes you made.

10. Never (ever) forget about your big sister

Yeah, I may not be around all the time, but it’s still important to remember that I’m still here, and I’m always cheering you on from a distance.