Advice From A Professional Hallway Praiser

Things you should know while having no clue what tomorrow will bring.

33
Crosswalk.com

We have all heard the saying that goes something like, “Until God opens the next door, I will praise him in the hallway.” Praising God in the midst of the unknown shows the strength of one’s faith, especially when uncertainty has set in. Although that saying is encouraging, no one tells you how it feels to be in the hallway, particularly when it is prolonged. Here are some things that I have learned while being in that position myself.

1.) You will be frustrated.

Being frustrated is human nature; there is nothing you can do to prevent it from happening. I know that I have felt frustrated at times when it seems that none of my prayers are reaching God. I have learned that just because the answer didn’t come in the time that I thought it should come or in the way that it should have come, it still came. God still gave me the answer that I needed, and He will give you the answer that you’re seeking, too. You just have to be patient; remember, His timing- not yours.

2.) It’s okay to be confused.

I think one of the biggest things I have learned while waiting on the Lord and still serving Him is that you can be confused and still be in His will. Most Christians are familiar with the scripture that says that Satan is the author of confusion, and although that is true, I believe that God allows that to happen to us so that we run to Him for guidance. I always struggled with this part; how many Christians do you know have no clue where they are going in their life? Not many, or not at least the ones I have been around. They always seem to have their life planned out and know the gifts and callings the Lord has laid on their lives. However, I have learned that by praying and seeking God’s face, you are remaining in His will- which is desperately longing after Him. It’s alright that you have not a clue about the future, especially when your faith lies in the hands of the one who created it.

3.) This is time for lessons to be learned.

It never fails that the Lord shows me things throughout my time in the hallway. The main thing that He has taught me is patience. You will learn to wait on Him, and then you will probably have to wait some more, but that’s okay, because it will all be worth it one day. Additionally, one thing that goes hand-in-hand with patience is definitely trust, and I say that because I have also learned to wholly trust Him. You have to be able to trust that He will open a door, and not just any door, but the perfect door for you.

4.) You are not alone.

The hallway may seem like a lonely place, and it can be if you make it that way. However, I have come to the conclusion that many others are in the same predicament that we are in. Reach out and talk to other believers; I assure you that they are either in the hallway themselves or they just got out of the hallway. It is always nice to have the advice of Godly friends that are going through the same thing. Who knows, maybe you could be the one to help them.

5.) The hallway is just a transition.

When God places you in the hallway one of three things is happening. One, He is going to expose you to bigger and better things that will help you grow as a person and a Christian. Sometimes that door that opens is going to set you up to fulfill His calling on your life to the maximum capacity possible. Another thing He could be doing is protecting you from something that would hinder your walk with Him. Remember, God knows everything; He may just be protecting you from something you are too blind to see. Lastly, He could just want to teach you a lesson. He could want to teach you how to seek His face more, or He could always be teaching you patience and trust. Whatever it may be, take pride in knowing that this is a transition to mold you into the person He wants you to be.

No matter how long you are in the hallway, praise Him. Give Him exactly what He deserves, even when you have no clue what tomorrow is going to bring. Continually seek His face, because that is where your answers will come from. Be encouraged, my good friend. Your door will soon open, and I cannot wait to see where God is going to take you when it does.