4 Tips For An Aspiring Poet

4 Tips For An Aspiring Poet

Being a poet is sometimes difficult, so here's some advice to help with the journey.

100
4 Tips For An Aspiring Poet
Adjunct Nation

We tap into all of our senses.

We see what others may not see at first glance.

We dissect and dissect until we think there is nothing left to dissect.

And then we go back and dissect some more.

We see the world in a different way. It's not the same for all poets.

Sensitive souls, we are.

For me, writing and expressing my thoughts sounds more coherent than me speaking.

Sometimes, people ask me how it's easy for me to write, but I always respond with, "Like a doctor, an engineer, a lawyer -- being a poet is dexterous."

With a field like this of tiredness and dexterity come wise people who have been in your shoes and may offer some type of advice.

So, here's some advice that I've gathered on my journey of becoming a poet (as I still don't consider myself a complete one, yet).

1. Read

I've always been told that whether I'm writing a short story, prose, or poetry, it's always good to read consistently. Reading helps with increasing your vocabulary, improving your writing skills, and helps with developing your writing style.

2. Write

Writing is essential as a poet. I prefer the pen and paper, but I sometimes use my laptop or phone to jot down little notes or "scraps", as I like to call them, for future poems. I like to believe that the best poems are created spontaneously. But I also try my best to write every day. Try to make sure that you set aside some time to write! Even if you just write one line, or a word, or a full poem (whatever that may mean to you).

3. Be creative/edit/revise

Break the rules. Step out of your comfort zone and write in a different form! While I like to think my poem's best form is when I first create it, it's always a good idea to edit and revise it. Sometimes, a line may not fit in, and sometimes all but one line fits your poem. Maybe you have some grammar issues, maybe something is too wordy, etc. Make sure to save lines (aka what I call "scraps") that you don't use in one poem for future poems!

4. Have A Place For Your Poetry (maybe get published)

Have a website. Keep a journal. Write a book! Whatever it is that you prefer, have a home for your poetry -- it helps keep you and your work organized.

5. Be Open To Critiques

Be open to other opinions. Your work may be great, but that may be only YOUR opinion. Get opinions from friends, co-workers, professors, etc. Having someone not understand a metaphor or an analogy that you used in your work is GOOD. Once you get this kind of feedback, you can go edit and revise as you see fit.

Whether you're aspiring to become a poet, or already consider yourself one, I hope that these tips come in handy. Make sure to pass down words of wisdom to those who might seek it! I wish you all the best on this journey of becoming and being great poets!