Adulting is Hard for Everyone

Adulting is Hard for Everyone

Adults don't know everything.
2877

You've probably heard that old saying that people get wiser with age, but it turns out that supposed wisdom doesn't mean that being an adult becomes any easier. We have all been lied to!

Sure, there were people who told us to enjoy being kids because being an adult includes more responsibilities, but those same people told us they knew this because they were adults and "adults know best".

If the recent political climate has taught us anything, then we know that these so-called "adults" aren't adulting particularly well at all. They make fun of our generation and the generation after us for not being able to be mature adults (which arguably is true for the generation after ours because eating Tide Pods is ridiculous) when in fact they aren't being mature adults either.

The adults who have told us for our entire lives that they know more because they are more experienced, have been covering up the fact that they have no idea what they are doing either. There is literally a franchise called "...for Dummies" that has been around since 1991 and I wasn't even alive yet so that books aren't meant for me. I know that older generations aren't supposed to know everything, but I also know that it is unfair for them to judge the way we are coming into our own. We are a generation that is changing the world in an entirely new way through social media, technology, and through the movement towards a more accepting society so I think maybe the adults who are telling us that we aren't "doing it right" should sit down and watch us.

We aren't the perfect example of adults and we do stupid things and we mess up, but we are adults who are struggling just as much as the adults before us did and still are. I sincerely hope that we don't turn to the generations after us with the same pompous attitude that the previous generations have met us with.

To future generations and to my own, we still can learn from our elders and each other, but we should not feel as if we are failing at growing up because we reach some bench-marked-age and we are still struggling. Adulting is hard for everyone and we are just getting started so keep on keeping on and we will hopefully figure this whole "life" thing out eventually.