Adopt Your New Puppy Today

Adopt Your New Puppy Today

The Best Solution To Summer Boredom

25
Adopt Your New Puppy Today
Grace Vazquez

Getting a dog was the best thing that ever happened to me, literally. Although training her was and still is hard, the bond we have is irreplaceable. If your summer is feeling bland, and your budget allows, I would invest in a furry friend of your own.

Before I continue, I would like to acknowledge that a puppy is a 10-15 year responsibility, not just a summer-break challenge. When considering to adopt, it is important that you have living arrangements, financials, and time in place to work with your new family member. If all of these seem to be lining up perfectly for you, then it may be time to expand your family.

Summer is the perfect time for a dog. Spring is often when puppies are born, and summer gives them two months to become adoptable. Not only that, but you usually have more time on your hands to spend with this friend to train it for when life picks back up in the fall.

I bought my puppy last summer as a graduation present and she was a handful at first. I found her on craigslist and was told she was a much tamer breed, but upon the vet’s examination and time I learned she was actually a Corgi mix. These dogs are extremely energetic which makes for a more hectic training (but a ton more fun).

Now that a year has passed she is my sidekick. Knowing I have her to come home to, makes work and errands easier. On top of this, she will be coming with me to college in the fall, making the crazy, yet lonely, time much easier.

Additionally, if you struggle with anxiety a pet can help this illness immensely. I have always had trouble with this, and getting Ever Lee made these issues fade. Although it is still prevalent and I do still have bad days, Evie is a huge factor in decreasing my anxiety.

It is proven that dogs actually help a wide range of illnesses, mental or physical. If you feel like you’ve hit a wall when it comes to treatment, I would suggest researching how a dog can benefit you.

One more topic I would like to include when one considers adopting, is the importance of choosing from a humane society or shelter. While breeders offer purebred pups, shelters guarantee you will be saving an animals life. Additionally, I would research if there is a kill-shelter near you. The need for new owners in these is extremely large. If animals are not adopted in time, they could lose their life. Any rescue animal will be cheaper and often has a story to go behind it.

My alternative to the humane society was craigslist, which is a little sketchier so I would not recommend. There are a lot of scam artists on this site, but if you’re familiar with how to spot and avoid them you’ll be fine. So many animals have been rescued from unfortunate situations through this site, it’s all about how comfortable you are with it. If you like living life on the edge, you could get lucky like I did.

No matter where a dog comes from they could be your forever friend. If you are willing to put in the work, they will give it back to you. The term “you reap what you sow” could not be more applicable to this. Dogs are like children to young adults, give yourself the responsibility if you feel ready and you’ll be surprised how well you do.