If You’ve Ever Thought About Adopting A Cat, Here Are 3 Reasons Why You Still Should

My best friend for life has whiskers.

9
https://unsplash.com/photos/xulIYVIbYIc

Growing up, I've always owned dogs with my family. Dogs have been my partners in crime for as long as I can remember. While I still have a big heart for dogs, I recently rescued a cat a little over a year ago from going to a shelter. When I say my whole life has changed, I mean nothing short of it.

With my cat, Oreo, my life has changed for the better. He has a lot more names than just Oreo to me, but he's been a light in my life ever since I made the decision to bring him home. It makes me reflect on the time I've had with him and also to think about the many reasons why I'm thankful for him. Even more so, why he was one of the best decisions I ever made.

1. Cats can have lots of energy levels.

Photo by Yerlin Matu on Unsplash

If you've been with someone who owns a cat and you've grown close to it, you've probably seen how much they can change in 0.05 seconds. They seem to have energy re-uptake every now and again because they get what cat owners commonly call "the zoomies" and run around, quite literally bouncing off of the walls. I say that because when Oreo has a lot of energy, he jumps to the top of his cat tower and almost falls off each time he's hyper.

On their opposing side, cats can be lazy and move slower. They have sleepy eyes and (most) like to cuddle. The bigger the cat, the more snuggles and better cuddles you can get from them. They're a nice presence when you're napping or to kiss on the forehead before going to sleep or after waking up.

2. Cats look forward to you coming home.

Photo by Manki Kim on Unsplash

After a long day of work or classes, something I can keep in the back of my mind is coming home and seeing Oreo. Oreo is overjoyed to see me and the best part is being able to scoop him up and give him love. He happily accepts it because it's followed by pets and kisses.

Knowing I have a little fluffy bean waiting for me to get home is something I can still look forward to at the end of my day. Being able to walk in and see his cutesy little face so happy to see me is a beam of light and warms my heart. To know that someone is at home waiting for me to come back is comforting and helps me to remember that there is more to smile about on good and bad days.

3. Cats have personalities that are very close to humans.

Photo by Eduard Delputte on Unsplash

A major key in a relationship with a cat is their personalities and whether they're compatible with yours. It's just like dating: if there's no compatibility or similarities, it'll be difficult to be able to form a solid relationship with the other.

Cats are no different. They watch your every move and react to what you do. Oreo and I have very similar personalities so we tend to get along very well. Oreo, like myself, needs attention every once in a while, has to be in on what's going on, is comforting when I'm upset (as I am with friends), and tends to get upset at silly things. It sounds stupid but there's a lot more to what we have in common. If he could understand and speak English, we'd have a lot to talk about and wouldn't ever get bored of one another.

Just like other animals, cats are a true gift to have in a household. If you've questioned whether you're able to take care of one or if it would work out, trust the process and go through with it. Not only are you saving a life, but you're adding one to yours in the time of a heartbeat. Your decision might take a while, but the results will have you smiling from ear to ear thanking yourself for your best friend.