No, Grandpa, Women Didn't Bring Sin Into The World

"Son, tell me, who was it who at the apple? Eve or Adam? That's what I thought."

17

He's old, I tell myself. He's old. You can't change old people. Their thoughts are like well dried concrete. It ain't budging. But still, it bothered me as I sat there and he continually tried to blame the evil of the world on one woman. Mainly because I knew underneath it was a predisposition to view women as less than when compared to men. However, I knew this wasn't the case. There other side was blaming the man, Adam. But I knew that wasn't the case either. That's because I know who was to blame. God.

Every holiday family gathering I would hear it repeated from my Grandpa. Eve was the one who ate of the apple. Factually, he had a point. Yes, she did. But some would say Adam was the man, he should have been watching over his wife. This is the version I had heard most of my life in school, church and reading. It made sense too in a way. Yet the more I thought about it, the more I wondered if this was really to blame on either one at all.

When we look at the text of Genesis, of course we see Adam and Eve are punished for their decision. After that we see the course humanity takes after such a decision and it isn't pretty. But who put us here to begin with? This question leads us into an age long debate that has puzzled and bothered theologians and philosophers forever. Is it our fault sin occurred or God's for giving us the opportunity to sin?

The gut reaction is to say we are to blame and in a way, we are. But in another way it is obvious God is to blame. I think this is fair to say not only because it seems true when wondering if sin would have ever occurred if we never had the opportunity to do so, but also because God takes the wrap.

God takes the wrap of course ultimately in the death and resurrection of Jesus. But he also takes the wrap in Genesis. If you remember, Adam and Eve cover themselves with fig leaves because of their shame and embarrassment once they sin and discover they are in the nude. Then something else covers them. Something often missed. Animal skins. That's right. Animal skins. Which can only mean one thing. Death has occurred. A sacrifice was given.

From the first pages of the Bible we see God's great plan in the works. Salvation through death and sacrifice. Of course, Adam and Eve sinned and there is responsibility for that. Of course, Paul goes on to use Adam as the one who brought sin into the world and it is true. But, ultimately, who takes the blame? God. God does with his hands stretched wide and nailed to a cross he says, "you can put that blame on me." Just like Akon.

So, perhaps at the next holiday gathering I will propose something new to my grandpa. Perhaps I will offer him something greater than blaming one gender or the other. Perhaps I will tell him of the great blame taker, the one who stands ready and willing to take all the blame in our place.

Amen.