11 Tips To Prepare You For Fashion Week

11 Tips To Prepare You For Fashion Week

You never know who's going to want to take your picture.

119
11 Tips To Prepare You For Fashion Week
Kris Atomic

Fashion Week is one of the most exciting and anticipated times of the year. I had the opportunity to attend two seasons of New York Fashion Week and I have picked up some lessons along the way. Here are some must-knows for the many events that happen during this week.

1. Be prepared to see fabulous avant-garde looks on various people.

My first time at Fashion Week threw me for a loop. The shows I attended had some of the most beautiful avant-garde looks and I kept wondering when and where some of those looks would be worn. I kept thinking that Rihanna would pull off any of those looks.

One thing I also loved about those shows was that there was some sort of representation among minority groups. I was able to see different looks on people of various backgrounds.

2. If you are wearing heels, have a flat shoe in your bag for safe measure.

Having flat shoes is a must if you wish to remain comfortable throughout the shows. I recommend wearing the flat shoes on your choice of transportation and then changing when walking to the hosting venue. The lines are often long, sometimes they circle blocks, and people try to cut and give passes to their friends. So if you wear heels for extended periods your feet may start to hurt.

3. The events can be tiring.

Sometimes the shows do not start on time and you may literally wait 30 minutes to an hour for the event to start. This is rather unfortunate as one would hope that their time and energy is respected, especially after standing and waiting in line for long periods.

4. Bring little treats to eat as you go.

Since waiting in line and then waiting for the actual event to start - especially when they are late can be tiring- bring snacks in your bag to eat while you wait. I also find it beneficial to snack during shows, as long as you are not in the front row.

5. The Fall/Winter season for NYFW is cold.

I would suggest that you wear something warm but cute if your goal is to look fashionable and possibly be asked for a photograph of your fit. That way you can be warm and comfortable but still cute.

6. Your street style is very important.

You never know who will want to take a photo of you or with you. You may end up in some of the most popular blogs for your fabulous look. There are bloggers and photographers who literally travel to various events throughout the day solely to photograph their favorite looks from attendees.

6. Network at events.

If you are interested in working in the fashion or beauty industry, Fashion Week is one of the many prime times in the year to start making connections. If you can manage to get tickets to some of the many networking parties that are held during fashion week, be sure to seek out tickets to meet some of the top or up-and-coming designers in the world of fashion.

7. It is the best time, if there is ever one, to be boujee.

This is the time to show up and show off all of your most stylish and fashionable looks. That coat, dress, pants, shoes, or blouse etc. you've had in your closet for the longest time but wasn't sure of the occasion to wear it: Fashion Week is just the perfect time.

8. You can wear whatever you want

Fashion Week is also a time when you can wear whatever you want and it can be fashionable or you can define it as wearable art. For that one week, New York is completely judgment-free when it comes to fashion (although to be fair NY has always been a judgment-free zone when it comes to fashion).

9. Here is where you will always find out what the fashion trends for the season are

Is it Polka dot? Stripes? Bright colors? Pastels? Florals? Holographic fashion? Anything else? Here is where you will find out from the runway to street styles! It is a great opportunity you do not want to miss out on.

11. Never leave an after-party/party unless you must

You honestly never know who might show up, and you never know how important those people are or could become in the fashion industry. Fashion Week is literally grounds for meeting some of your favorite celebs. I missed meeting the cast of Black Panther because I left early to be back in Philly for school on time. DAMN SCHOOL!