If You're Looking For 'A Sign' To Leave Your Comfort Zone, This Is It

It's time to take that leap, because even if you fall, you'll see how much further you'll need to jump for next time.

73

Take this as a sign that it's time. It's time to apply to that job or to that internship, it's time to change your major to what you want, it's time to join the gym to lose those extra dining hall pounds; whatever you've been putting off and letting yourself down with, just do it.

Change happens when you do

Wishing and waiting for your dream body, for that phone call from Johnson & Johnson that you're their ideal candidate, or for the email inviting you to join your school's honor society for academic excellence, is a waste of time unless you create and effortfully execute a plan to meet these wishes. Good change happens when we do, particularly when we realize we deserve to sculpt and then strategically attain the futures and goals we want. Once you leave the cozy couch of your comfort zone, there's no going back.

Good things come to those who stop making excuses

The truth is, we have the time. We have as many hours in the day as Taylor Swift, or Beyoncé. You're spending more time being miserable, envisioning how life would be if you'd just shoot your shot. Instead of taking the leap towards your future, you're living in a daydream, and there's a fine line between reality and fantasy. Crossing this line is crucial to succeeding, requiring steps I have been recently willing (sometimes forcing myself) to take, and so should you. Once you get out of the constraints of your mind, make a plan, then annihilate it while remaining humble yet confident. Everything is a learning experience, even if you fail, but at least you respected yourself enough to stop making excuses.

Sure, working at Wawa certainly ages my body beyond a normal pace, but I didn't apply for and attend internship interviews because my job makes my feet hurt, but because I know it's time to take the uncomfortable, risky leap out of my safe haven for the purpose of bettering myself with new experiences, as well as enriching myself with new knowledge.

In essence, you never know unless you try. When it comes to even just booking the plane ticket out of our comfort zones with the completion of an internship or relevant job application, you will always get an A for effort.