Everyone Needs To Have A Personal Code Of Ethics

Everyone Needs To Have A Personal Code Of Ethics, Here's Mine

These are the laws of my heart...

205

A personal code of ethics isn't something that teachers require of you, or your parents, or family and friends... but it's something you should require of you.

It's a way to live your life— promises and codes of law to rule for your own soul and way of life, so you live your truths the way you want them to be lived.

Making my code of ethics has never been so difficult and simple, all at the same time, and here's what I realized:

1. I need to respect my mind, body, and heart.

I used to take my body for granted. I used to abuse it, and in turn, that made me abuse the self-esteem, integrity, respect, and love that I was supposed to have for myself. I put myself down and was my own worst enemy. But I never want to be that way again. I have put myself through the worst, but I can be my own best friend now. I want to love myself and respect every facet of myself. I want to open up my heart to everything and never resent my sensitivity or openness. I want to speak my mind and never be afraid of the way my thoughts can express themselves—whether it be through conversation, on paper, or art! I want to take care of myself. There's only one of me, and I have to respect my mind, body, and heart.

2. It's important to laugh at yourself.

There is so much wrong with the world, and such terrible things happen. If I can't find happiness as much as I can, negativity might just get the best of me. And that's not something I can allow. You're human! So laugh at yourself!!

3. You can't be ashamed to ask for help.

I am not the smartest person out there, and I have learned the hard way that I cannot handle everything on my own. Never again will I make myself put up with life all on my own when I have a family who loves me, friends who support me, and people who care about me. I also have too many questions that will remain unanswered if I do not reach out to others! I never want to be ashamed in asking for help or wanting a shoulder to lean on. Sometimes, there is so much strength that comes with asking someone to be there for you. I think it's a humbling experience when we lean on other people for support—and it is this humility that garners the aforementioned strength. It's okay to ask for someone else to carry you when your own two feet aren't up for the job!

4. Never let the inner child in you grow up.

I don't care how old I am, I never want to lose touch with the curiosity, newness, excitement, and imagination that all children have the privilege of having. I never want to lose base with that enthusiasm that comes with learning new things and experiencing new things…. I don't ever think we stop being kids. I think we just mature and sober up to reality and the harshness of the world as we grow older. But I also think that we should never forget what it's like looking up to someone, what it's like wanting to slide down a slide, or go on the swings and sing as loudly as our throats can allow. I don't want to lose this joy for life or the vulnerability that comes with not knowing what the future holds. I want to live freely and imaginatively…no matter how wise I become!

5. Being well-read is essential. 

There is no better way to blossom a soul of empathy than by picking up a story…and diving right into its richness. The characters' tales of woe or their tales of happiness all provide lessons and foundations for values and morality in the readers' lives, and in this way, books enhance reality. I've learned so much by reading—all through elementary school I carried at four books in my book-bag. This is a value I have cultivated until it flourished into a garden of knowledge and intrigue in my brain, and I refuse to ever stop it. So much growth is yet to be done.

6. Try to bring light to everyone.

There's so much I can do, there's so much I can say, that can make a day brighter for someone. It's the little things that matter because they have a BIG impact!