A Love Letter to Feminism

Dear Feminism,

I don't think I have ever really taken the time to sit down and tell you how much you mean to me. How much you have changed my life, and how much you have shaped me into the person I am today. So today is for you, feminism, to hear about how much I truly love you.

I know we had a rocky start. When I was going through that awkward phase in high school where I only wore baggy sweatshirts and hated the color pink. The phase where I was denying myself stereotypical girly things because I didn't want to be seen as one of "those girls". I was trapped by societal norms and sexism. But feminism- you saved me. You showed me that liking pink and glitter didn't make me a bad, or weak, woman. I could like getting my nails done and wearing dresses while still being an educated, kind, and strong girl.

Once we began our relationship, I began falling for you even harder than before. I fell in love with your ability to help me see the problems and societal injustices in the world. Even better- you taught me that gender roles and stereotypes were not only ridiculous but hurtful. Feminism, because of you, boys are allowed to be emotional, to truly express their feelings and be more flamboyant without ridicule. Similarly, girls don't have to always be "ladylike", they can be good (and even better) at manly things like wrestling, football, mechanics, and other masculine dominated fields.

While you have accomplished so much in our time together, I must say that you have always been amazing, even before me. From allowing women the right to vote, own land, hold positions in government- you have been crafting relationships with women for decades, and always embrace up with open arms.

Feminism, because of you, I am pursuing higher education. I am able to dress how I please, act how I please, and have the rights to my body. My best friend, a boy, has the right to be more sensitive and to like things like fashion and makeup. Because of you, I am more aware of the injustices in the world and know that I need to use my place of privilege to help those less fortunate than me.

I know that we will continue to have a long, happy, and healthy relationship. You and me, feminism, we can change the world. Thank you for all you have done.

Yours forever.

Love, Me.