An Open Letter To COVID-19

Dear Coronavirus, You've Wreaked Havoc On Our World And We Can't Take Any More

It's time for you to pack up and leave.

423

Dear Coronavirus,

I haven't been infected by you yet, but you have woken the world up to what seems like a never-ending nightmare. Although you haven't personally made me sick, you have taken so many lives, as well as time, and freedom from every individual on this earth.

I was one of the people who kept telling everyone that they would be fine, that you would never be able to touch me because I am an invincible 23-year-old, but boy was I wrong.

So now that you've got my attention, I want to let you know that I am afraid of you. The best way I can describe you is that you're the ex that no one can get rid of. You're toxic. "You" have taken away the freedom of being able to go outside, you have taken away college graduations, you have taken away weddings, you have killed the economy, you have made me doubt myself and others just because of a sneeze or cough, you have taken people from their families WAY too soon, you have caused an abundance of anxiety, but unfortunately, you aren't all to blame.

That would be the easy way out, turning blame to one another or just blaming this all on you, but that's not the case and that's why it's your turn to listen.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of the world right now is scared of not only getting you, but more so afraid of passing you to others, since well you stick on everything else.

Personally, I have never really experienced anything like this, and well to be completely transparent — WTF WORLD?!

This is the kind of world you see in the movies or read in a book, this isn't supposed to be our reality. To be honest, I think I became more scared when I saw the ways in which people were reacting to all of this. You caused panic across the entire world and you are the reason we're all so anxious about the unknown.

The scariest part about you is the unknown. Everyone is constantly talking about you and there is something new every single day but yet we still can't seem to figure it out. We can't figure out exactly why you are spreading so fast and why you affect so many more than other diseases, but what I've realized is the anxious effect you have on people.

I'm anxious to go outside, anxious if I have enough food, anxious for the next time I'll get to hang out with my friends, anxious to hug my family, anxious to kiss my significant other, anxious to pet a dog, anxious to touch anything where you could be.

The future is already anxiety-driven enough but when we throw you into the mix and talk about the brain being in full power mode 24/7 because no one's mind can focus on anything else.

I'd like to give my deepest apologies to every single college senior that was supposed to walk across that stage, to all the weddings that have been postponed, and to every person that has been impacted by this financially. To every family, friend, or relative that had to say goodbye too soon, to the ones who are scared, who have anxiety, to whoever was hurting before any of this even started because I have a feeling most of us can say this is something we were not expecting to add onto our plate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is just to remember that we are all in this together. Granted, that's way easier said than done, so go easy on yourself — we are all doing the best we can. I know we are all bored and figuring out what to do with ourselves, hoping things don't get worse, I know I am. Despite the boredom, take this time to focus on yourself and how you can help this insanely annoying situation. Don't be afraid to get fresh air, just keep to yourself as much as possible, wash your hands, sanitize, cover your mouth, and be kind, because we are all in the same boat and no one should feel alone during this.

None of us know what you are going to do next, but like a toxic ex, I'm asking that you piss off, Coronavirus.