A Guy's Guide to Halloween Costumes

A Guy's Guide to Halloween Costumes

It's never too early to start planning costumes for the best parties of the year

15
A Guy's Guide to Halloween Costumes
courtesy of Life Smart Blog

Now, I know what you're thinking: why do I need to start thinking about Halloween in the beginning of the summer? Halloween brings with it some of the wildest parties and events of the year, and if you want to impress the ladies with your costume, you need to set yourself apart from the pack. With all of the extra time spent at home missing school, a great way to lift your spirits could be to plan for all of the fun times you're bound to have in the fall. That's why I'm here to give you some recommendations about how to up your costume game this Halloween and leave that basketball jersey in your closet for once. Sorry, guys, but it had to be said.

Guy Fieri

courtesy of the Orange Country Register

Welcome to Flavortown! Starting off our list is a costume sure to make all your friends jealous of your frosted tips. All you need is a Hawaiian shirt (preferably with flames on it), some chunky dad sunglasses (you know the ones), a red or orange bandana, and one of those visors with the frosted tips coming out of it. If you really want to be realistic with this costume, you might even bleach your hair to get the authentic frosted tip look. This simple costume is sure to make you look dynamite, brother.

Austin Powers

courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes

Oh, behave! This British spy from the 60's has even more sex appeal than James Bond, if you can believe it. Well, at least that's how he was written in his many movies. Nevertheless, this costume is a bit more complex than Guy Fieri's, given that Austin Powers wears a tacky patterned or solid colored suit, but if you're dedicated enough you'll have the most original costume at the party. Groovy, baby! Some leather boots and blocky black glasses round out the look, and if you can pull it off you'll look absolutely shagadelic.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

courtesy of MTV

You know it. I know it. This is simultaneously a meme and an iconic style moment all wrapped up in one package. And the best part is, it is a super easy outfit to replicate. You probably have most of the materials in your closet already. People are sure to know exactly who you're portraying in your costume if you show up in this, and it could also be a great costume for a cool October night. No more shivering walking back to the dorms!

Joe Exotic

courtesy of Pink News

I can't wait for all of the Tiger King themed costumes come Halloween. While this costume may become a bit overdone by the time fall is over, capitalizing on popular culture is a great way for people to recognize a more original costume without having to explain it. Joe Exotic's style has certainly become a way to make use of often gaudy animal print clothing to make an iconic costume sure to secure you at least two husbands by the end of the night. Oh, and please grow a mullet if you can to make the costume that much more accurate.

Ace Ventura

courtesy of Business Insider

This pet detective may not be the most popular costume on this list, but it is certainly one of the easiest costumes to recreate. A tank top, Hawaiian shirt, and crazy pants (optional) are all that are needed to pull of this Jim Carrey classic. Oh, and be sure to tease that hair up! You can even carry around a stuffed animal, because, after all, Ace is the best pet detective in the world. Just please don't bring a real monkey to the party.

It's never too early to start planning and getting together your Halloween costumes, because it's the one night of the year we can dress up however we want and not worry about other people judging us. However, if it's not Halloween and you're wearing an Austin Powers inspired suit walking to class, you may turn some heads. Just a fair warning. If none of the inspirations I listed seem good to you, we still have so much time until the fall, so you can always figure out a more original idea when the time comes. Just please, for the love of god, leave the basketball jersey at the daygers.