900 Cases of Mumps Reported At "Migration Detention Facilities"

CDC reports awful health conditions at migrant detention facilities

12

This isn't the first report about poor health in the migrant detention facilities that has come out in recent months, but this is certainly one of the most recent and an incredibly worrying one.

The CDC has reported 900 cases of the mumps at these facilities within the past year. It was previously reported that they were being denied proper sanitation and medical care. The conditions described were practically asking for diseases to spread.

All of this is horrific. I don't have any other words to put to it that would effectively carry the weight of what has happened and what is continuing to happen to innocent people in this country. I continue to write about it in the hopes that I can spread information or change someone's mind, or perhaps, this can even serve as a record of the past for future generations.

The truth of the matter is that mumps is a disease that with vaccinations, is relatively extinct. But because of proper sanitation and health care, it has spread like wildfire in these camps, to children and staff members alike.

The truth of the matter is that we have seen this before. While Germany committed terrible mass executions during the Holocaust, Many died of curable illnesses, or even starvation. Anne Frank died of typhoid, not a bullet.

The truth of the matter is that we argue whether or not these are concentration camps, while people are cramped together in unlivable conditions resulting in 900 cases of a sickness that is in fact, lethal. It is only a matter of time before we see a death eerily similar to Anne Frank's.