9 Women In Music That You Need To Be Listening To Right Now

All the girl power you need in one short list.

143

Getting into the lull of the same old music can feel almost restrictive. For the weeks when your Spotify Discover playlist can't even help you out, I've done the dirty work for you and found 9 incredible artist and bands that deserve the praise you'll give them when you want to sound extra cool to your friends. (And what's even better is that all of these musicians are women!)

1. Maggie Rogers

Maggie Rogers has easily become one of my favorite musicians. She is genuine and eager and her lyrics, in combination with her vision, hit the heart like no other. Her EP "Now That The Light Is Fading" is synthy, yet timeless. All of it makes you want to dance along with her as she sings of new beginnings and growing into yourself.

2. Snail Mail

A coming-of-age garage rock band, Snail Mail gets it so right with their combination of alternative sound and pop influences. This band holds a special place in my heart because they're doing what they want to do and they're doing it for themselves. Front woman Lindsey Jordan spills poetic lyrics and memorable guitar riffs in their debut album "Lush."

3. Phoebe Bridgers

Phoebe Bridgers is a storyteller. Her songs are not just ballads of lost loves, but stories of lust, wishful thinking and introspection. Some are haunting but all are beautiful. Her ability to be bravely vulnerable with her lyrics and her voice is what drew me to her immediately. Bridgers' debut album "Stranger in the Alps" easily becomes a favorite.

4. Margaret Glaspy

Plain and simply put; Margaret Glaspy sings about belonging to herself. Her unique voice and confident lyrics pair well with guitar heavy instrumentals and licks. Whether you want to dance or you want to cry, she's got a song for you.

5. Soccer Mommy

Lead singer Sophie Allison knows what you've written in your journal and she went ahead and produced a whole album about it, I'm convinced. She sings in metaphors and leaves the rest up to your own interpretation. I love how unapologetic and cohesive all of her music is because it makes you want to listen to it forever. With each listen, you always find something new that you love about it.

6. Liza Anne

I've seen Liza Anne perform her album "Fine But Dying" live two times and I was captivated by it both times. She tackles topics like mental health and the anxiety surrounding a relationship that was too demanding for the both of them and she does it without any sugar coating. Meeting her and talking to her about her music made it obvious that she loves what she's doing and she means every word she sings. And let me tell you, singing along to sad love songs with a room full of strangers is a healing experience if I've ever had one.

7. Sjowgren

Although I actually have no clue how to pronounce the name of this band, it has been a favorite of mine for a few years now. It's a go-to in the car and their indie sound just makes you feel happy when you need a pick-me-up.

8. Florist

Florist has some of the most calming music I have ever listened to. Soft tunes and a gentle voice have helped me through many long study sessions in the dead of winter. The lyrics of their music are beautifully descriptive and light, making them slightly nostalgic.

9. Wild Child

Wild Child is a folksy pop group with incredible energy. Lead singer Kelsey Wilson has such a strong voice and it really makes you listen. This is one of those bands that my friends and I listen to in the car on long drives and we sing along to each lyric because they're so cathartic.

These women are just a few of the artists and bands that come to mind when I think of genuine, meaningful music and it's so important to support musicians like them. May their music bring you countless hours of jam sessions and discovery.