9-To-5 Jobs Aren't Meant For Everyone, Including Me
Lifestyles

It is OK to not want that desk job, where you sit in a cubicle all day.

205

As freshman year is coming to an end, most of us are still trying to find our deep passion within and figure out what pathway we want to take all the way to graduation. Me, well that's a whole different story. I came here as a biochemistry major wanting to be an orthopedic surgeon or study naturopathic medicine and ended up switching to journalism because I thought that's where my heart lied. But as I continue my education, I realized that what I am studying is not what I want to be doing for the rest of my life.

In my program, I am surrounded by courageous, intelligent, and career-driven students, and yes I am an intelligent human being, but sometimes I feel out of place. I was always the kid who wanted to go out there and do everything. I never had a specific pathway carved out for me like my siblings and parents, I was always different, but I didn't think anything was wrong with that. As my freshman year is coming to an end and everyone is already picking their classes for next year and starting their focus in their major, I am just sitting here wondering what I do next.

Education is important, I think getting a degree is one of the most necessary things to get no matter what field you want to go into, but for me, I don't want that 9-5 work schedule and that's OK, not everyone does. I know it may sound crazy, but once I am done with school I just want to buy a vintage Volkswagen with a trailer cart attached to it and just travel the world and experience all the beauty this world has to offer from hiking, surfing, sailing, skydiving, gardens, anything. Just me, myself, and a dog traveling the world.

I know it is not realistic and most people can't live in that nomadic state of mind, but I guess I've recognized myself as that wanderlust person.

Ideally, I don't think I will ever want to live in one place for the rest of my life. As far as a job would go, I would love to travel internationally and write stories about rural parts of the world, but what I want to do is immerse myself into the culture and lifestyle and write a story about my day and publish it to the public, almost like a documentary of my life, but instead of video through words.

Words are powerful and I want to connect with people all of the world and inspire them to get out there and travel the world and be thankful and grateful for this beautiful and incredible world we live in. Sometimes I feel like most of us are caught up in the social media world and we forget to self reflect and on our journey we forget who we are. Traveling opens your mind to so much out there and puts everything into perspective.

Ever since I was a kid, I have always had an infatuation with the water, every time I am near it or in it, I feel as if I belong and that I have finally reached home and peacefulness, most people search their lives for that feeling and I found it within the majestic waters. Most of you are probably wondering why I am writing this, well I hope to remind you that is OK to be different and it is OK to not want that 9-5 desk job because I don't either. I want to help underdeveloped countries and fund communities who need the necessities to live.

I always grew up within a very privileged household from presents under the tree during holiday time, full Thanksgiving dinners, full packed fridge, birthday parties, being able to travel around with my family, and attend a four year university which most people can't afford and for that I am extremely grateful, but now it is time to give back to those who don't have much. If you are in the same boat as me, let's travel the world and give back, the little things in life matter the most and most of us are caught up in our own little fantasy.

Remember, it's OK to be different and I praise you for who you are and no one should stop you from wanting to do the things you love.