9 Things You Can Do For The Homeless This Winter Besides Just Give Them Cash

Even the smallest contributions can go a very long way.

169
Nina Strehl / Unsplash

We've heard it and said it too many times. You drive past a person on the side of the road who is asking for money. You reflect and think "wow, I can't even imagine. It's so cold outside" but continue on your way. Especially during the holiday season, which can get particularly depressing for people who have lost their home or are in a financial crisis, we always find ourselves wishing we can do something for people in need. Well, you can.

Here are just some of the few things you can do this holiday seasons to make difference in your homeless community.

1. Keep supplies in your car.

More often than not, a common concern is that the money one gives will be used for drugs or alcohol. While often a misconception, this concern deters people from giving at all. Go to the grocery store and put together little kits in Ziploc bags. Inside, put anything that you think would help. In mine, I usually pack a water bottle, a cliff bar, a pair of socks, band-aids, and chapstick. Give these to the people in need while driving instead of money.

2. Find donation boxes.

Anything helps. You don't need to spend hundreds at Fred Meyer to make a difference. Run to the Dollar Store, grab some mittens, a beanie, socks, and underwear. Most communities will have donation boxes on buses.

3. Get a group together and make goods.

You'll be more likely to become motivated if you engage in giving with your friends. Get a group together, or even just spend a day with another friend knitting scarves, crafting beanies, or my personal favorite, making easy tie blankets. You'll have fun doing it and help a few people in the process.

4. Go talk to them.

What's often forgotten about is the psychological needs of people in need. While their physical needs are of great importance, it's important to remember how hard it must be to feel so lonely, scared, and depressed while having so little. Keep in mind your safety, but just go up and wish them a good day or have a friendly chat. Everyone needs a little socialization and perhaps a hug sometimes.

5. Donate unused books.

Books can serve as an escape from reality for a bit. If you have extra on hand, don't sell them or give them to a friend who may or may not read it. Put them in a donation box or hand them to a person in need.

6. Give gift cards.

While obvious, this one seems pretty eye-opening to me. People use the excuse so often that the homeless population is asking for money for drugs or alcohol. If you truly do want to give money for food but don't want to aid an addiction, give someone you see a gift card for a meal at Subway or a few meals at a fast food restaurant – somewhere that doesn't serve alcohol if that's a concern, and somewhere they will feel comfortable walking in and getting a meal.

7. Download StreetLink.

A lot of the homeless community is unaware of local services or shelters available. With this app, you can report someone you see sleeping on the street and local services will help connect the person to resources available. After, you will receive a notification with an update on the actions that were taken, giving you peace of mind that the situation was resolved.

8. Volunteer.

This is an obvious point, but it's important so I'm listing it anyway. Look online by simply typing in your city followed by "volunteer opportunities." It's easy to do and most opportunities will only take a few hours out of your week. Below are some major cities and their volunteer opportunities.

– Los Angeles

– Seattle

– Portland

– New York

– Chicago

9. Inform others.

A lot of misconceptions about the homeless community keep people from donating their time, money, or resources. Educate yourself on your community and inform others on people in need. Keep away misunderstandings so that the numbers of donations and volunteers keep rising.