The Top Social Media Sites

9 Popular Social Media Platforms - Ranked

Calling all Instagram fans.

49
https://www.everypixel.com/search?q=social%2Bmedia&stocks_type=free&meaning=&media_type=0&page=1&image_id=558360931193927721

Whether you like it or not, and, whether you participate in it or not, social media is a large part of our society today. It plays a role in the world of celebrities, politics, and everything in between. Being a college girl (and a social media connoisseur), in my opinion, here are some of the most popular sites, ranked:

1. Instagram

Almost everybody's got an Instagram account, but what I love about this particular social media site is that you can make your page whatever you want it to be. Want to start a fitness page? Go for it. Want to try and promote a brand, maybe even make money off of it? Give it a go. Want to simply post pictures of you and your family and friends? You do that. Side note, I personally find peoples' "finsta" accounts much more real, as well as entertaining.

2. Snapchat

Although my father references it as a pointless place to take endless duck-face selfies, I myself use Snapchat to stay in touch with my friends and family, especially when I am away at school. Plus, you have to admit that EVERYONE looks better with the puppy filter on.

3. Twitter

Ahhh yes, Twitter, land of the memes and the outspoken 20-somethings. We "stan" Twitter and all the 180-character posts it has to offer. P.S., switch to night mode – you won't regret it!

4. YouTube

You can pretty much find anything on YouTube, and that's a good and a bad thing. From the annoying "Fred" video days to modern day YouTube TV, this one's sure come a long way.

5. VSCO

Outside the realm of high school and college-aged white girls, not many people have a VSCO a. Personally, I adore VSCO because it's a very free platform to share just about any photograph you'd like, from cute sayings to pics of you and your besties.

6. Facebook

It was cool back in 2010, but I've gotta say that as of recently, Facebook has mostly been geared towards pregnant 20-year-olds, soccer moms, and people who feel the need to share their opinions regarding politics online.

7. Pinterest

This one's my personal favorite, for the reason that it is the perfect place to obtain new ideas as well as share some of your own ideas, from delicious recipes, gorgeous home décor designs, and of course, endless pics of cute puppies and pretty flowers.

8. TikTok

I don't know much about this one, besides the fact that it used to be called music.ly, and that my 9-year-old sister is obsessed with it. Could it possibly be the new Vine? (P.S., R.I.P Vine. Gone but never forgotten.)

9. Tumblr

Although I never got into this scene, I know it was a real favorite of some of my friends in their emo days and middle school years – no offense to the people who still use this one! You do you; after all, that is one of the main purposes of social media, to express yourself.

Call it what you want: call it a way to share your selfies with the world, call it a waste of time, call it a way to stay updated on the lives of your people. It's important to always limit your screen time; remember, in life it's about the memories you make with the people you love, not the pictures or descriptions of those memories you post online for the world to see.