9 Reasons Why Zoella Is The YouTuber And Person We Should All Strive To Be | The Odyssey Online

9 Reasons Why Zoella Is The YouTuber And Person We Should All Strive To Be

Zoella doesn’t let the instant fame and fortune get in the way of what matters most to her.

177
flickr

I believe we can all agree that YouTube has significantly changed. A hella wicked ton: the Potter Puppet Pals, Annoying Orange, Nigahiga, Charlie the Unicorn — just a few of the OG’s on YouTube. OK, now come back from that lovely nostalgia; don’t worry, those videos won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. It is the Internet after all, am I right?

Alright, now think of the most common YouTube videos you watch. There definitely are a lot of DIY videos, plenty of comedians who challenge themselves beyond what their body can take or think of bellyaching skits for their channel. You are missing one type of video though — ah yes, the daily vlog. Basically, a fancier term for a video diary but shared with the public.

I’ve been watching YouTube for a very, long time and there is one YouTuber/vlogger/ in particular who I absolutely love. I’ve been one of her subscribers for almost 6 years now. You might have heard of her: Zoe Sugg, also known as Zoella. Although she first started YouTube as a makeup, beauty, and fashion uploader, she has changed my life mentally, emotionally, and fashionable.

Here are just some reasons why Zoella never disappoints me while watching any of her videos:

1. Talks about real things with her subscribers besides her business

A couple of keywords here: "real" and "with." Zoella actually talks to her subscribers about real world issues and real daily life matters that intrigue viewers to keep watching her videos, such as staying in school/attending university, mental health, the struggles of adulting, and even self-confidence.

You can see a lot of these in her Q&A videos and even in some of her daily vlogs. Also, she engages with her subscribers/viewers instead of simply talking at them. She encourages viewers to comment on suggestions and genuinely shows that she cares about her viewers — she sees her viewers both as family and as her friends. Although she can be quite chatty, this makes her stand out amongst the other millions of YouTubers: she’s not afraid to say what’s on her mind nor is afraid to be vulnerable.

2. She’s not afraid to talk about weird/uncomfortable topics

Zoella is like an old friend that you haven’t caught up in a really, long time. She radiates a vibe that is more than just rainbows and sunshine— she’s comfortable in her own skin and hones it while talking to her viewers. Whether it is in her Q&A videos or her requested videos, she’s that person who is willing to open the can of worms and dive right into the mess.

She’s talked about sex, fears about the future, peer pressure, and even other little fears that she deals with on a daily basis in which others might not share those same fears. Regardless, Zoella strives to make any viewer feel comfortable and strives to be an authentic YouTuber.

3. Uploads wicked long vlogs

You might be thinking, “Why is Lianne bringing this up?” There’s some of you who may look at the length of a video and totally bypass it, because of how long it is, but for some odd reason, Zoella’s lengthy vlogs don’t bug me. I view her extended vlogs as Zoella being her true, raw self. I also believe it helps viewers see that she is a normal person.

Yes, normal is an overrated word, but what I mean is that she’ll show her viewers doing daily things — she cleans her house, she takes bubble baths while watching Netflix, she takes her dog for a walk; even playing board games with her family/friends.

Although some of you may think Zoella is being “too open” with her viewers, Zoella has stated her boundaries of vlogging in some of her videos and explained to viewers why she does so. She’s honest, you can’t really ask for much more than that.

4. She addresses anxiety

Anxiety. It sucks. It makes you feel like you’re stuck inside your own head, body, and can sometimes feel impossible to see the world through fresh eyes.

When I first started watching Zoella’s videos, she talked about this quite a bit and I was really confused as to what she was talking about. I tried my best to relate, and I could for a few things, but ultimately didn’t understand it.

As I have gotten older and speaking as someone who does have anxiety, I totally relate to her and she makes me feel like I am not alone when dealing with anxiety.

She’s made a couple videos where she only focuses on anxiety, mental health, and even self-care. Zoella is like your free therapist: she is empathetic, provides tips on how to cope and manage your anxiety, and is not afraid to share her own experiences — she’s shared how she has suffered from panic attacks, even with viewers watching her endure one, what she has done or is doing to maintain her mental health, and advocates that mental health is extremely important and that you are NOT alone.

5. Humble

There are some YouTubers who flaunt off their fame and fortune from their YouTube stardom. Does this make you keep wanting to watch their videos? Or does it make you want to scream at them for being so arrogant? Don’t get me wrong, I love it when YouTubers upload shopping haul videos but when they do it in a narcissistic, bragging way, I get so pissed.

Despite Zoella living in a three-story opulent home in the UK, the author of Girl Online series, has her own beauty product line, countless amounts of nice homeware and clothing, she still acknowledges that she is extremely thankful for all of the opportunities she has had in her career. When watching her videos, I rarely ever get the vibe of her flaunting or bragging about her success.

6. En Pointe Style

She has a great sense of style! Although she has a plethora of clothes and it may seem like she spends her money as if it grows on trees, Zoella is not afraid to experiment with new styles — from chic and cozy to playful and sometimes bizarre. During her shopping haul videos, she has recently has been including mini lookbook previews too which helps viewers get a better sense of how the outfit comes together, and more importantly if they think they can pull it off.

When I first watched her fashion videos, she inspired me to go out of my comfort zone and try things that actually made me look like a girl versus a gym rat. She also has an eye for home decor. Despite the opulence of her house and slight jealousy of how nice it looks inside, her house is literally adulting goals.

7. She’s secretly a little kid inside

Zoella’s not afraid to be her bubbly, fuzzy enthusiast, English crumpet cuteness. Let’s be honest people — she has an adorable British accent, what more could you ask for?

8. Family

Regardless of her own family, her boyfriend’s, Pointless Blog (aka Alfie Deyes), or her friends, she genuinely enjoys spending quality time with her family on and off of the camera. There are some YouTubers who don’t even show their family. I totally get the whole privacy issue, one-hundred percent. However, Zoella further shows how she is not just the famous YouTuber — she’s a well-rounded person who we all should strive to be in some way, shape, or form.

9. Self confidence

She hones her insecurities. Despite her anxieties, despite her haters and despite her skepticism as a multimillion-dollar YouTuber, she holds her ground and is able to do what she loves.

Am I saying you should become a YouTuber, like right now? No. if this article has inspired you to, then great! All I’m saying is that Zoella is the kind of YouTuber who doesn’t let the instant fame and fortune get in the way of what matters most to her. She still keeps herself grounded and we all should strive to be like her — regardless of YouTuber status and internet abilities.