9 Must-Hear Songs From Thomas Rhett’s New Album, “Life Changes”

There’s something for music lovers of all genres.

656
Andrew Wendowski/Sounds Like Nashville

Thomas Rhett’s third album, “Life Changes,” dropped Friday, September 8, and has been on repeat on my stereo at home, in the car, and on my phone when I’m at the gym. I quickly became a fan of Rhett's music after falling in love with his single, “T-shirt” and have been eagerly awaiting the release of this album ever since. In the past, Rhett's music has typically fallen in the category of country or country-pop, but with “Life Changes,” Rhett says he was influenced by all the artists he listens to in the making of his latest album. From EDM to country-pop to a lil 1950s rock and roll, it’s neat to listen to the combinations of different genres on this album. Here are 9 must-hear songs from Rhett's new album that will make you think differently about Rhett as an artist. I dare you not to become a fan.

1. Unforgettable

One of my favorite songs from the album, I’m so glad Rhett released this song as his second single and that this catchy, sing-a-long tune is playing on the radio. “Unforgettable” tells the story of a guy remembering all the details of meeting his girl — from the exact date they met to the “Mango-rita she was drinking and that Coldplay song she was singing” — and it’s actually the cutest thing ever.

2. Drink A Little Beer feat. Rhett Akins

This feel-good, party song is about having a good time and is by far the most country sounding song on the album. You got the fiddle going and even an appearance by Rhett's dad, Rhett Akins, who penned the song. Who's down for some good ole country vibes?

3. Sixteen

If nostalgia could be put in a song, “Sixteen” would embrace it. The theme/title of Rhett's album, “Life Changes” is definitely present in this song as Rhett sings about learning to drive with his dad at sixteen to being eligible to vote at 18 to finally being legal to drink at 21. It’s a relatable theme: counting down the days till you turn a certain age and then finally reaching that stage of being grown up and thinking about how easy life was when you were younger.

4. Marry Me

I saw the title, heard the opening lyrics and totally thought it was going to be about Rhett's wife, Lauren. Spoiler alert: it’s not. “Marry Me" is about watching your best friend marry someone else and having to be happy for them.

Although the guy thinks about telling the girl his true feelings and “getting it all off his chest,” he doesn’t want to mess their relationship up, and while it’s an honorable decision, it’s completely heartbreaking. The lyrics and slow melody make for a hard, ugly-crying tear-jerker, for sure. For everyone’s sake, I hope this storyline happens to as little people as possible.

5. Leave Right Now

Country meets pop meets EDM, maybe Rhett could convert a few EDM lovers to country music with this tune. The beat drops mid-chorus and includes the repetition of lyrics, making for an easy sing-a-long tune.

6. Life Changes

The title track of the album, this song represents the journey of how much Rhett's life has changed in the past few years. From “majoring in undecided” in college to marrying the love of his life at age 22 to having two kids on the way, I love how Rhett sings about more than love and drinking, but everything that life has to offer itself.

7. Renegades

This soft-rock song has Romeo-Juliet, West Side Story vibes, circling around the theme of young lovers doing what they want without caring about their parents' approval. I love the chorus’ fast beat with the electric guitar and how it sounds like it belongs in a 90's movie.

8. Country Gold

Available on the Target Deluxe Edition, "Country Gold" is country meets rap meets Bruno Mars' "Uptown Funk" with a little boogie and funk. This upbeat song is sure to get people more appreciative of how different genres can mix with country and sound surprisingly good.

9. Sweetheart

This ballad opens with Rhett crooning the title of the song, “Sweetheart,” which reminisces a time of 1950s rock and roll (think The Crickets) and sounds a lot like a record is being played in the living room with the lights dim low before the guy and the girl start swaying together (I know, very specific). The perfect slow dance song, “Sweetheart” is the country-pop version of Ed Sheeran’s “Perfect” and will make you fall in love with whoever starts playing the song for you.

Whether you're into music for how it sounds or how it writes, there's something for music lovers of all genres and stories on this album. Rhett's not sticking to his label as a "country artist" here; rather, he's a musician who isn’t afraid to push the boundaries with his music lyrically and musically. The album "Life Changes" is different than anything you've heard in the past and is sure to be an unforgettable (see what I did there?) album for years to come. Available on Spotify for streaming, you can listen to it now!