Yes, Bisexuality Is Valid And Here Is Why

There still seems to be some confusion in regards to individuals who identify as bisexual.

22
Sharon McCutcheon https://unsplash.com/photos/Oyvnok5gZEo

As September 30th comes and goes, so does the week celebrated across many areas known as Bisexuality Awareness Week. Throughout the years, there has been debate on whether or not the sexual orientation referred to as bisexuality is a valid sexual orientation, or should even be classified as a sexuality at all. Well, let's all make sure we are on the same page here. Because it is valid.

Let's start with the basics. For clarification, the sexual orientation known as bisexuality refers to an individual who is sexually and romantically attracted to other individuals that identify as male and individuals who identify as female. Throughout my own personal experiences and interactions with the different individuals in my life, I have noticed that there still seems to be some confusion in regards to individuals who identify as bisexual and why they do identify as such in the first place. There also seems to be many misconceptions about the sexuality in question, mostly from individuals who have not been properly educated or who have chose not to be for their own comfortability.

In order to properly address the common misconceptions, let's first discuss why they were thought of and believed in the first place. Bisexuality is something that many individuals, whether you identify as such or not, struggle with to this day. Imagine how difficult it most have been, say, fifty years ago. You are a living in a world where you are expected to live a certain life. Women were expected to settle down with nice husbands, pop out a few children, take care of the home, and so on. Men were expected to find the perfect woman, have the perfect job, and have just enough money to lead a perfectly stable and normal life. Now imagine what that life would be like to someone who realizes early on, or even later in life, that that specific lifestyle you are expected to live by is the exact thing you do not want. Imagine what it would feel like to feel trapped, like you can't escape the expectations and societal norms placed upon you.

Fifty years later, these dynamics are still present. Individuals who identify as queer, bisexual, gay, and so on and so forth still have times where they go through these same feelings. However, bisexuality seems to still be at the forefront of questioning whether or not the sexual orientation should be considered valid. Many individuals consider bisexuality as an excuse for sleeping around and not committing to a serious relationship, but this couldn't be farther from the truth. No one uses something they claim as part of their identity as an excuse to do anything. Sexual behavior is not only no one's concern besides that specific individual, so stray from using someone's identity as an excuse for your ignorance.

In conclusion, everyone is valid, and so is everything that makes up that same individual's identity. Whether it is in regards to sexual orientation, gender identity, or lifestyles, educate yourself before deciding you know everything about an identity that isn't even yours to begin with.