8 Of The Most Tragic Celebrity Deaths

8 Of The Most Tragic Celebrity Deaths

"If only life could be a little more tender and art a little more robust"

5143
8 Of The Most Tragic Celebrity Deaths

Celebrities. People some of us have never come to know and probably never will.

So, why is that they have such an immense impact on the everyday people? Well, it is for a variety of reasons, maybe their work, music, movies, philanthropy, etc. inspired us to be better, to create change, or to do something we love doing as much as they loved what they did. Because of this, celebrity deaths affect us, all of us.

Here are what I believe to be some of the most tragic celebrity deaths:

1. James Dean (1931-1955, 24 Years Old)

James Dean was an American actor and is remembered today for his iconic "bad boy roles" in films, as well as his handsome appearance. Dean's most famous roles in film include "East of Eden" and "Rebel Without A Cause ", where he worked alongside very famous people of the Hollywood era such as Natalie Wood of "West Side Story." Dean's acting career led him to two Oscar nominations (both for best actor in a leading role) and the winning of two Golden Globes. James Dean passed away in September of 1955 in a fatal car accident that also injured two others. Dean had been driving his Porsche 550 Spyder (aka "The Little Bastard"), to an automobile race when another driver struck his vehicle at an intersection on CA-41. James Dean suffered from many internal injuries as well as a broken neck. He was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, which is nicknamed "Bloody Alley" due to the high number of fatal crashes that still take place there today.

2. Marilyn Monroe (1926-1962, 36 Years Old)

Marilyn Monroe was an American actress and model. She is famous for her roles in films including "Some Like It Hot" and "The Seven Year Itch". Marilyn Monroe also became one of the most iconic sex symbols of all time, as she publicly discussed her own sexual relations, posed for magazines such as Playboy, and aimed to change society's attitude toward sexuality. Monroe passed away in August of 1962 from a drug overdose that was ruled to be an act of suicide. Monroe's toxicology report showed that the dosages ingested of her prescription medications, were several times over the lethal limit. More than half a century later, Marilyn Monroe remains a major American popular culture icon and her legacy as a sex symbol, beauty icon, and one of the most famous stars of classical Hollywood cinema lives on today.

3. John Lennon (1940-1980, 40 Years Old)

John Lennon was a singer, song-writer, and activist who co-founded the extremely iconic band, credited with beginning the British Invasion, The Beatles. Lennon's widely renowned fame began with The Beatles, but continued on into his solo career as well, with hits including "Give Peace A Chance", "Jealous Guy", "Instant Karma", and his best selling single "Imagine". John Lennon won numerous awards including an Oscar with The Beatles, 7 Grammy awards, and was given a star on The Walk of Fame. In 1980, Lennon and wife Yoko Ono, released the joint album "Double Fantasy". This would be Lennon's final studio album released by himself, as he was murdered by Mark David Chapman three weeks later. John Lennon was shot four times in the back outside of his New York apartment in December of 1980, while returning home from a recording session. Many memorials have since been built for the musician and peace icon all around the world, including The Strawberry Fields Memorial. Lennon's words of peace, change, and acceptance live on his music and still inspire many today.

4. Heath Ledger (1979-2008, 28 Years Old)

Heath Ledger was an Australian actor and film director who quickly became popular in The United States film industry. Ledger's most famous performances include "A Knight's Tale", "10 Things I Hate About You", "The Patriot" and "The Dark Knight" (one of his most famous roles, winning an Oscar and Golden Globe). Despite his success, the actor suffered from mental health issues and abused prescription drugs. In January of 2008 Ledger's housekeeper and masseuse found him unconscious in his bedroom. The pair called 9-1-1 and attempted to perform CPR on Ledger but were unsuccessful. Paramedics and emergency technicians were also unable to revive Ledger and he was pronounced dead in his Manhattan home. The cause of death was later released to be in relation to the abuse of prescribed medications with findings of hydrocodone, oxycodone, doxylamine, and several other drugs in his system. Toxicologists deemed the death accidental. Ledger's legacy lives on through his iconic roles and contributions to American film.

5. Michael Jackson (1958-2009, 50 Years Old)

Michael Jackson, aka "The King of Pop", was an American singer, song-writer, and dancer. Jackson rose to fame at a very young age because of his dominant voice performance in the group the Jackson 5. His solo career sky-rocketed there with iconic songs including "Thriller" and "Billie Jean". Jackson won multiple Grammys in his lifetime and even has an award named after him at The MTV Vide Music Awards. In June of 2009, the pop icon was found dead in his home in Los Angeles. The cause of death was acute intoxication of propofol and benzodiazepine, resulting in cardiac arrest. Fans mourned the entertainer around the world and at the announcement of his death, Jackson was the best -selling music artist.

6. Amy Winehouse (1983-2011, 27 Years Old)

Amy Winehouse was an English singer and songwriter. Despite her young age, it did not take Winehouse long to rise to stardom with iconic songs such as "Rehab" and "Back to Black". Winehouse was known for her unmistakable "expressive contralto vocals" and creative mix of musical genres including soul and jazz. In 2008, Winehouse tied the record for most Grammy wins by a female artist, winning 8 in one night for her album "Back to Black". While Winehouse's musical career was very successful, the young singer had many personal struggles including substance abuse and mental illness. Winehouse was found dead in her home by her security guard in July of 2011. Winehouse had suffered from accidental alcohol poisoning. Winehouse's legacy lives on through her music and through creating discussion around substance abuse and mental illness.

7. Alan Rickman (1946-2016, 69 Years Old)

Alan Rickman was an English actor and director known for many roles both on screen and on stage. Some of his most famous roles include Hans Gruber in "Die Hard", Judge Turpin in Tim Burton's "Sweeney Todd", and Severus Snape of "Harry Potter". Rickman won many awards in his lifetime including a Golden Globe and an Emmy. In January of 2016 the beloved actor died after a short battle with pancreatic cancer. Fans all across the globe, especially that of the "Harry Potter" films (including Daniel Radcliff himself) mourned Rickman's death. His legacy lives on through many of his iconic roles and through the love of his fans and those who had come to know him.

8. Carrie Fisher (1956-2016, 60 Years Old)

Carrie Fisher was an American actress and writer. She was best known for her role as Princess Leia in the classic "Star Wars" films. Fisher struggled with bipolar disorder and drug use, both of which she was extremely open about and became an activist for mental illness. In December of 2016, Fisher was on a commercial flight from London to Los Angeles when a passenger became in distress and reported Fisher was not breathing. Fisher was taken to a hospital and placed on a ventilator. Four days later, the iconic actress was pronounced dead. "Star Wars" fans across the globe mourned the death of the actress and even took to creating Fisher her own star on "The Walk of Fame". Fisher's legacy lives in her acting that is a huge part of pop culture, as well as in her advocacy for mental illness.