8 Things Upcoming Freshman Need to Do Before Move in Day

Hold on, you're in for a crazy ride

20

As your last few months are ticking by as a high school student I know you are growing more and more anxious for your upcoming college adventures. With this anxiety, please do not forget some of the most vital things that need to be done before move in day.

1. Spend time with your family

You spend more time with your family then you actually think. Once college starts you may see yourself talking to your mom maybe once every two weeks instead of everyday. So, please make the effort to spend some quality time with your family before you head off. You may be hundreds of miles away in a few short months and they will miss you tremendously. This is the first time your parents won't have you in the house since birth and they will most likely be completely lost without you. Once college and adulthood hits you will not get to see them as often as you once did. Cherish the moments you get to spend with them before you leave because those moments will always be some of the most valuable when you look back.

2. Thank those special teachers

We all have a select few teachers that really helped us thrive and pushed us to become the person we are today. And we always seem to take them for granted. Please don't forget to thank them before you go onto your next journey because they really did help get you where you are today. Without those inspiring teachers, you may not be in the person you are in today. So give them a hug and tell them just how awesome they really are, you never know how much this could mean to them.

3. Take a trip

With college just a few months away dorm room essentials are probably more on your mind than a vacation. But, believe me when I say you need this. You need to venture off, try new things, meet new people. There is a big world out there that is waiting to be explored by you. Take the opportunity and explore while you can. When classes hit you'll be so swarmed with papers, assignments, and test you'll tend to forget about the world around you that longs to be explored. So go out and adventure, you will not regret it one bit.

4. Have a relaxation day

This is vital. Unlike high school you will not have numerous free days after school where you will have nothing to do but binge on Netflix. Before college, take the time to have a relaxation day full of nothing. Relax on the beach, read a book you have been wanting to, or lay in your bed and watch Netflix all day. Really, do whatever your heart desires. Your body will absolutely thank you for this before by the time first semester is over.

5. Clean out your room

I know this sounds like a pain but it is something that needs to be done. You have been living in the same room for years and years and stuff has accumulated I promise. Take the time to clean out all your stuff now, or you never really will. Look through old treasures you find and reminisce on the memories. Go through your clothes and donate them to charities that are really in need (foster homes are a really good option). Once you get this done you will feel a whole lot better and you're parents will be happier that their house is now a little cleaner.

6. Hang out with your high school friends

These people are the ones that you spent some of the most vital years of your life with, so please spend every moment that you can with them before it is too late. Once you all venture off on your different journeys ahead you do not know the next time you will see them. With that being said, show them that you love them, hang out with them as much as you can, and make some of the best memories that you will never forget in your lifetime

7. Live in the moment

This is really something you should do all the time. But especially in the last short months before college. Live in the moment. Do crazy things. Try something you always wanted to but haven't gotten around to. All these experiences add up, and make for a great story to tell your children years later. Living in the moment will also teach you to be social and positive, two aspects that are vital to make new friends away from home. Plus, living on the edge can be fun at times.

8. Cherish all your memories

This one is huge. As you are so overwhelmed paying fees, finding a roommate, or picking out your twin comforter it’s easy to lose track on what is going on around you. Cherish the last moments you have in the life that has been so normal to you for the past eighteen or so years because it is all about to change. Make some new memories and make sure to keep all the old one stored in your mind (nothing is better than a mom telling her kids about a crazy high school memory that she had). Cherish all the great moments you have had in your life because you are about to create so many more.