8 Things People With Curly Hair HATE Hearing

Do NOT Touch It! Do Not Mess With The Beast!

649
Pintrest

Individuals with curly hair have the best of both worlds. Honestly, you could go for a light curly look and change it for a week by taming that mane and flattening your curls. I am extremely proud of my curly hair, and my hair journey has been a long one.

Though I was used to my relaxed and damaged hair, it was so nice to become natural again. My hair on its own has attracted so much attention, both positive and negative! The comments that I would get directed towards my hair are indeed annoying, but typical. It’s understandable though. Curly hair, especially the kind like mine (the tight, ringlet type), is bound to get questions and comments.

After speaking with some friends, especially some with my same hair type, I have come up with the top 8 things that curly girls (and boys) hate hearing.

1. What Do You Put In Your Hair To Make It So Curly?

Honestly…just water? Yes, water. Our hair is naturally curly, so automatically when it is wet, it will curl! I hate to be the bearer of bad news for those of you with pin straight hair trying to achieve that curl-fro, but if you don’t have curly hair, you just don’t have curly hair. Sure, we style it to make our curls more defined, but even if I were to list the products that are recommended for our hair, they won’t MAKE curly hair.

2. Is That Your REAL Hair?

This is by far my least favorite question, and unfortunately, it is the most popular question that people ask me. Ever since I cut off all the dead and unhealthy hair, my curls really became noticeable. That led to the question of if my hair was actually MY hair or if I went and bought it at a beauty supply store. Honestly…do you want to pull on it? I can promise you that it won’t fly off or come off with glue attached to the end! If you ever want to ask that question to someone with curly hair, just don’t.

3. Ew! Why Don't You Wash It Every Day?!

What people do not know about curly hair is that our hair is really prone to dryness. We do not need to wash it every day for it to look great. In fact, it is not necessary for any hair type to wash their hair every day. The natural oils in our hair will be stripped off with shampooing on a daily basis. I personally have my curly hair washed once every week, and on the other days, I would cleanse my hair or co-wash. Co-wash means that you will wash your hair, but only using conditioner. Shampooing your curls every day will only cause it to dry even more.

4. Wow! It's So Bushy!

Yes…we know! We are natural bushes, and we are so proud of it! In fact, we spend a great deal of time trying to make it the perfect amount of bushiness. Thank you for noticing!

5. Can I Touch It?!

No, no, and NO!! Like I mentioned in the last point, we spend a lot of time on our hair. But I believe the thing we hate the most is when people ask to touch it and immediately touch it without us being able to tell you no. We do not like it, and it will cause our hair to frizz. So, please, do not touch! We barely touch it ourselves.

6. I Bet Your Hair Is Super Hard To Manage!

Actually, it is really easy to manage curly hair. But, to be honest, if you do not take care of it, it will become unmanageable. If you feel that you do not need to detangle it or give it the proper protein that it needs, then yes, it will look like a hot mess! But if you take care of it, just like anyone were to take care of their hair, it is actually fairly easy.

7. I Wish I Had Your Hair!

Do you? Do you really? I mean, do you REALLY? I know I just mentioned how it is fairly easy to take care of it, but that is for manageability. Curly hair, in order for it to look presentable, you would have to use a few products and deep conditioners. As well as getting trims every few weeks. Curly hair is expensive!

8. You Look Better With Straight Hair!

When was this ever interpreted as a compliment? We understand that our hair looks good straight...that is why we straighten it. But, it takes us a good few hours to straighten it and for it to only stay straight for 4-5 days. Trust me, we like our straight hair, but I can promise you that we love our curly hair far more. So don’t expect us to straighten our hair every week.

We may hate our hair sometimes. It is truly a hit or miss every time we style it, but we really would never change it for the world.