I Backpacked The Appalachian Trail And Brought Back 8 Life Lessons

Challenging yourself is fun — you should try it more often.

212
Kathryn Brooks

Over my spring break, I went on a trip through my college to backpack a section of the Appalachian Trail. I love to hike and camp, but I had never combined them into a backpacking trip. We were supposed to hike over 50 miles in a week, but Mother Nature had other plans for us. This trip was incredibly adventurous and pushed me to my limits, both physically and mentally. I can confidently say that this trip introduced me to my new favorite adventure: backpacking.

However, I also learned many invaluable lessons along the way.

1. Mother Nature sucks.

We had awful weather on our trip. The weather was nothing near the forecast, which was mild 30s and 40s. Our first and third days were sweltering. Our second day was a downpour all day and night. Every single night it stormed. On our third day, we were caught in a blizzard on top of a mountain and had to be evacuated. Which brings me to my next lesson….

2. You (probably) don’t really know what cold is.

I did track growing up, which is basically God’s way of punishing outdoor athletes. Conditions are always awful. I have been pretty dang cold at meets with snow and hail while I was in spandex and a jersey. But this was a whole new ball game. Once we got back into heat after we got off the mountain, I still could not feel my fingers and feet for 6 hours.

3. Wet gear is the quickest way to ruin a trip (and night).

It stormed every night we were there, which means our tents were SOAKED. The storms got so bad sometimes that even our sleeping bags got wet. Water managed to soak in everywhere and drench everything. Sleeping in a wet sleeping bag in a wet tent when it is 20 degrees outside is less than enjoyable, in case you didn’t know.

4. Protein bars only do so much.

Due to the awful weather we had, we ended up not being able to have full meals a few days. I had protein or Clif bars during every single meal for two straight days, as well as in general every single day. I was a whole new level of hungry I had never previously experienced. The mere sight of a Clif bar makes me gag now.

5. Dry socks and feet will make or break your post-trip experience.

As I mentioned, we went through some crazy weather, but especially consistent rain. I only packed three pairs of socks in the interests of money, space, and weight, which came out to roughly a pair of socks every two or three days. My socks would get wet every day, and I would try to dry them overnight, but the temperature was so low and there were storms every night so they never really dried. Once I got home, my feet were peeling an absurd amount, and I had the worst calluses I have ever had. A mild case of trench foot convinced me to change my ways so I never develop a more serious (and painful) case.

6. Try your clothes out before you go.

I had all the necessary clothing from my many years of needing to stay warm during sports and enjoying my favorite hobby, hiking. However, I was seriously lacking in raingear, so I had to purchase a new raincoat and rain pants. I did not think anything of it because they fit when I tried them on and there were no immediate problems with them.

Well.

The forecast called for a day of rain and mild temperatures, so I set out in my rain pants. About halfway through the hike the sides of my legs began to itch, but I thought nothing of it and finished the day. The next day, I put them back on and then by the time we stopped for lunch, my legs were hurting and itching so badly I had to investigate. Both of my thighs were COVERED in a hive-like rash. My legs are now covered in scars from where the rash was. Lovely.

7. Disconnecting from technology is heavenly.

There were many places on the trail where we did not have service, so I only used my phone twice the entire trip. It was amazing. You don’t realize the pressure of having your phone and how much it subconsciously and consciously distracts you from those around you. I was especially grateful that I did not have my phone because although the views were amazing and more than picture worthy, I stood on top of mountains and just personally admire God’s creations, without worrying about admiring it through a camera lens.

8. Challenging yourself is fun.

This trip challenged me mentally, physically, and emotionally. I am not an athlete anymore, and I don’t enjoy working out for fun, so I have not had a true physical challenge for a while. This pushed me to my limits, and a little further. The bitter cold and its accompanying weather broke me mentally once it got to me.

But I am nothing but better because of it.