8 Reasons The Star Wars Prequels Are Awesome

Not perfect, but far from terrible.

199
Greg Barlett

You ask most people who know me and they'll tell you I'm an old-fashioned type of guy. I don't care for social media or for the ever-changing trends in fashion. Instead, I relate to the good old days: black and white movies, family values, etc.

Often, I find my viewpoints and system of generational thinking lines up better with those from previous generations than my own. However, I have to say, they got one thing absolutely wrong: the Star Wars prequels are awesome!

So much ugly hatred is piled on these prequels by those who grew up knowing only the original trilogy, that to express this opinion may very well result in me being lynched. But I hold to it nevertheless! Despite some genuine flaws (namely courtesy of the acting and certain storylines,) these films are spectacular visions come to life by a filmmaker whose like does not exist in the medium today and they resonate deeply with anyone inundated in Star Wars lore or emotionally invested in the universe. Here's why they rock:

1. The imagination

To all its naysayers, this should be the most obvious. Every idea and design onscreen absolutely screams originality and creativity, from the sparkling underwater city on Naboo to the unknown denizens at work on Mustafar, or the hive world on Geonosis contrasted with the murky depths, full of sea-to-air creatures, of Kamino.

Fantastical designs abound ("Acklay!"), whether in the iconic droidekas, Jedi Starfighters, instantly classic alien species, and so much more! For just an example of how crammed packed of imagination a single segment of these films is, check out this link of the fulfillment of Order 66. If you do, watch it this time with an eye for how different and unique each planet is, not to mention the spectacular visuals and battle sequences (more on that later.)

2. The visuals

This is where Lucas particularly shows how unmatched he is as a filmmaker. Less in The Phantom Menace, but so often in the other two, jaw-dropping images pop up without warning, providing colors, sensations, and downright emotional responses to its audience.

Although each film has its brilliant moments (for me, the underwater passage on Naboo in TPM and Count Dooku's solar sailer in AotC), here's another scene from the opening minutes RotS that may prove my point.

3. The fascinating overarching storyline

Quibbles about individual films' story-lines aside, the overall themes and believably absolute genius of Darth Sidious' plan to take over the galaxy are things I hold in awe.

The conspiracy is vast, deep, twisting with every turn, but it makes for one of the most emotionally rich and dark finales in film history when it all comes to a head in Revenge of the Sith. See below for the epic foreshadowing in Episode II.

4. Ewan McGregor

McGregor's turn as the absolutely beloved Jedi Master made the character that much more endearing. His spot on facial expressions, droll comments, and athleticism in duels ensured that his version of Obi Wan Kenobi is the one we most love. (Even when having to deal with the flat-out awfulness provided onscreen by Hayden Christenson and Natalie Portman.)

Not to mention that this is the most fleshed out character over the three films, ranging from eager Padawan in Episode I to a grand and wise, albeit devastated, Jedi Master by the end. Here's hoping we all get the Obi-Wan solo movie we all desire!

5. The richness of the universe (ahem, galaxy)

Although I would never state any dislike of the originals (on the contrary, I enjoy them dearly), something newer technology and a much bigger budget per film finally gave to Lucas was the option to expand past the edges of the immediate storyline and provide a galaxy rick with history, culture, and recognizable characters.

Although never mentioned by name, such figures as Aayla Secura, Ki Adi Mundi, Plo Koon, or even Baris Offee are easily known by name to the fans who truly care about the lore. Such a multitude of worlds and alien races also enabled the viewer to disregard the suspension of disbelief in seeing the Star Wars universe as a living, breathing entity. (I suggest skipping to 1:52 in the video below. As I said, Natalie Portman is awful.)

6. The action sequences

Never before has there been battles like this and there certainly haven't been any since. Although the Battle of Naboo is visually entertaining, it is weighed down for more mature audiences by the ceaseless antics of Jar Jar.

Dissimilarly, The Revenge of the Sith has a multitude of battles across a variety of planets, but none go into as great of depth or focus as the all time winner: The Battle of Geonosis. The science fiction equivalent to the Battle of Pelennor Fields, this is the epitome of absolutely epic awesomeness on the screen, with bucket loads of eye-candy!

7. The lightsaber fights

OK, this one should go without saying. Simply watch the fight below and try to contradict me.

8. The music

Utilizing the original themes while adding so many more that prove just as, and sometimes more, epic, the musical prowess displayed by John Williams not only contributes to but accentuates the unbelievable action and designs occurring.

9. Jar-Jar Binks

Ok, I kid. Literally. As a kid, I thought he was hilarious, and so did every other kid of my generation. Just because the charm has definitely worn off, that doesn't mean that Lucas was entirely misguided in his inclusion. (Even though I tend now to skip every scene he's in, except the one where he pretty much enables the Emperor's rise to power. Makes you wonder...)