8 Of The Best Land-Based Casinos In Australia

Your guide to the best land-based Australian casinos to help you decide where to visit

24

Online is fine, but sometimes you just want to kick back and relax in a real-world casino. Land-based casinos in Australia offer all the thrill of the game, as well as luxurious surroundings, drinks, and atmosphere. Playing poker is more fun in a real casino, and nothing beats a spell of real-life pokies action.

But where do you play? Australia boasts several high-profile casinos, each with its own style and attractions. Read this guide to the best land-based Australian casinos to help you decide where to visit.

Land-Based Casinos: Your Shortlist

1. Crown Casino, Melbourne, Australia

Heading to Melbourne? Check out the Crown Casino in Australia's fine city. This is the largest casino complex in the country and there is, as you would expect, everything here to keep you entertained. The casino floor itself has every game you can think of, from the traditional poker and blackjack to the pokies and the gaming machines. The VIP experience is for you if you want to splash a little cash.

One of the biggest advantages of the Crown is that it's a casino hotel. There are three locations to pick from, all of which are admirably luxurious and packed with amenities like health spas and fitness centres. You've also got a full spectrum of bars and restaurants in the hotels and the casino itself. This is a destination for the whole family to enjoy.

2. Treasury Casino, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

When you're in Brisbane, check out the Treasury Casino, a well-established Australian casino with a sterling reputation. The Treasury has three floors and over 100 tables. That means plenty of choices. And there are many gaming machines to occupy you. Six restaurants and four bars round out the package. You can also expect live music and sports screenings to enhance the atmosphere and make this a destination in its own right.

​3. Adelaide Casino, Adelaide, Australia​

Adelaide Casino in southern Australia is a part of the wider SkyCity Entertainment Group. It boasts a world of luxury inside its walls and there is plenty to keep you occupied, whether you like poker or pokies. The venue hosts regular poker tournaments, attracting players of all levels to the game. If you're not into cards, try the thousands of gaming machines on site. There are also the big casino games like baccarat and roulette to chance your luck. Once you've finished playing, relax with a drink at one of the bars and restaurants at this highly regarded land-based casino. You can catch a live act if you time your visit right. And according to 5 Star Pokies, the best place to play pokies in Australia is right here at Adelaide casino, where new pokies are regularly introduced and there is plenty of variety on site.

4. Wrest Point Hotel Casino, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Wrest Point in Tasmania is the oldest casino in the country and opened over 40 years ago. This is a casino with a hotel and therefore provides a high level of amenities including restaurants, nightclubs, bars, and health spas. There is even a mini-golf course when you get tired of the slots. The casino itself is packed with games and tables and offers a loyalty program to reward regular guests.

5. Country Club Casino, Tasmania, Australia

Also in Tasmania, the Country Club is a friendly place with a lot of atmospheres. You're sure to find a warm welcome when you visit this land-based casino. Find all the traditional games and a selection of new attractions.

6. The Star, Sydney, Australia

Looking for a casino with clout? The Star is massive, and it houses just about everything you could need from a gambling paradise. Table games include all the regular blackjack, roulette and baccarat games, along with different poker variations for the card sharks. Online table games add an extra experience to the live casino. The Star offers more than a gambling haven. There's a health spa to wind down after a hard night on the tiles. The spa is also great for your non-gambling partner. And don't forget the arena connected to the casino, which hosts big-name acts on a regular basis. A full selection of restaurants and bars rounds out the offering in Sydney.

7. Casino Canberra, Canberra, Australia

The Casino Canberra is a spacious and opulent place that attracts all kinds of players. Head here for the pokies and the poker, and for the restaurant – book a table because this place is popular with the casino players who flock to Canberra's land-based casino.

8. Jupiter’s Hotel and Casino, Broadbeach Island, Gold Coast, Australia

This Australian land-based casino is in an exquisite location, surrounded by palm trees and sand. The hotel is also a great destination, so you can make a weekend of it at this place. Spending your nights in the hotel makes it easier to enjoy your time in the casino since you don't have to worry about getting home.

Choosing the best land-based casino in Australia

You've got plenty of choices in Australia when you want to visit a land-based casino. Most casinos now are inclusive, and you don't have to pay for membership to visit and play. Your choice of casino depends on several factors. Do you want a quieter, more relaxing atmosphere or are you ready for a night of loud, crazy excitement? Different Australian casinos have different vibes.

Decide whether you want a casino with a hotel attached. Casino hotels tend to be luxurious and well-equipped, so you can be sure of a warm and comfortable welcome. You also won't have far to stagger to your bed at the end of the night. If you just want to spend a few hours on the pokies, however, you don't need to worry about how much the suites cost.

Check the practicalities before your visit, too. For example, how much cash do you need to bring, what ID is required, and whether you need to book a table at the restaurant? When it comes to gambling money, plans involve casinos going cashless in Australia, which will help if you want to spend more while you're at the table.