8 Things You Didn't Know You Needed Until The Semester Started

Belated college essentials.

1709
Unsplash

After you have endured your first semester of college, there are essential things you start to realize you, unfortunately, left off of your enormous shopping list in the beginning. This semester is your chance to get it right.

Ranging from subscriptions you should be on the lookout for to items that seem so minuscule until you actually need them, this is a list of belated college essentials I have compiled for you.

1. Amazon Prime

Free two-day shipping, access to Amazon video, and it’s free for the first six months? What better way to spend money that you don’t have?

2. The Spotify premium/Hulu package

THIS IS A GODSEND. Music streaming and show streaming, a match made in heaven. All for just $5 a month because you’re a student.

3. Water filter

After alternating with my roommate and literally buying a case of water for our room every other week, we decided we’d rather not spend our hard earned coins on buying a 24 pack of water bottles so often when we can have an unlimited supply in our floor sink.

The problem with that was I’d rather die than drink tap water from the sink of the very bathroom that I won’t even walk barefoot in. So, we bought a Brita filter and have been happy and hydrated ever since.

4. Air Wick plugin

Whether it be the scent of sleep sweat or whatever flavor of wings you decided to try last night for dinner, dorm room smells are a thing. They are those smells that become “one with the room” if you don’t do something about it. That perfect and efficient something is an Air Wick plugin. They are the best on the market for the simple fact that they actually WORK (screw you Glade).

Ever since getting one of these (the Fresh Laundry scent aka an actual slice of heaven) the first thing people comment on when they walk into my dorm room is how good it smells.

5. Ramen

STOCK UP ON EXTRA RAMEN. I cannot say it enough. Do it for undergrad culture if not for your own benefit. I came into the semester thinking one case was going to be enough. I then visited home and miraculously came back with 3 more cases. On those days when you just don’t want to leave the comfort of your dorm to find something remotely edible in the dining hall, Ramen will be there for you.

6. Baby wipes

Trust me, they come in handy. A little on the personal side, sometimes there’s a level of clean that toilet paper just cannot get you. They are also great for freshening up in the middle of the day when all that sweat starts to build up. Hygiene is still important ladies and gents!

7. Bluetooth speaker

Sometimes, listening to your music at a normal volume is not enough. A portable Bluetooth speaker is also great for outings, small parties, or just on the go beats.

8. Batteries

Simple, right? Wrong. We use so many things that are battery operated (mostly toiletries) and forget that completely until the batteries in your electric toothbrush are dead and you’re forced to do it the manual way (honestly, boohoo). My roommate and I each bought huge packs of different batteries (triple and double) and have them on hand for whenever the moment comes.