8 Helpful Tips To Surviving Your College Years

We could all use someone's advice from time to time.

11
Campus Riot

College isn't my favorite thing in the world, but staying organized and on top of things makes it a little easier to get through. Going into college as a freshman, you honestly have no idea what you're getting yourself into. You realize rather quickly that things move pretty fast and excuses aren't a thing your teachers allow. If you don't do your work, then there are immediate consequences. Skipping too many classes directly effects your final grade, not to mention you get even more behind than you would if you were still in high school. Snow days are never a thing unless it snows 15 feet. 8 a.m. classes will get the best of you even if you think you can take that challenge on, (Ha but then again...you shouldn't ever want your first class of the day before at least 9:30 or 10am...) Take it from someone who is about to enter her fourth year: College is a serious thing. If you want to make a decent living and find your dream job, 99% of the time you'll need some sort of degree for that. So against all odds, the key to surviving the next four years of your life are as follows:

1. Stay Organized. Always.

Keep your desk and backpack neat at all times. File things away into categories, and keep a planner or notebook by your computer for writing down assignments or crossing out ones you've finished. Having everything neatly organized makes it way easier to find what you may need and you'll be able to sit down and get started right away with no hassle.

2. Get A Planner - And Use It.

I love writing in a planner. I'm definitely a person who has to be organized at all times, so writing down my to do's or homework assignments day to day makes things a whole lot easier. Take your planner with you everywhere you go, and use only one. Take it to class, to meetings, work, the grocery store, etc. Always write your homework assignments and when they are due in your planner before getting up to leave class, and cross them out once you've finished them. It will help you keep things organized and you wont't forget to do certain things because it's all written down. There are so many fun and cute planners out now that it's oddly exciting to sit down and plan out your week.

3. Stay Motivated.

It's too easy to lose motivation during the school year, especially when you get closer and closer to graduating. When it feels like your drowning with work and school and trying to have time for yourself to relax and do fun things, having something to remind you things are ok ok is a must. Write motivational or fun notes on sticky notes and attach it over your desk -- or make a whole wall. Do something that you can look at when you're feeling discouraged and know that it will motivate you or cheer you up.

4. Make Your Bed. Eat Breakfast.

Start your day the same as much as you can. Have a routine. Make your bed in the morning -- having that area neat and tidy helps start you off on the right organizational foot for the day. Make sure you eat something before class. You have a much better chance at paying more attention and remembering things if your belly is full and you aren't distracted by how hungry you are. Your brain needs food too, remember? Having simple routines keeps you on track and on a schedule.

5. Keep it Neat!

This one is a given. Keep your class notes clean and easy to read. How are you going to study and go over terms/ideas if you can't even read your own writing? Color code important terms. I personally enjoy using colorful pens which look pretty but also serve a purpose of keeping things in order. Use orange for vocabulary, purple for places or events, green for chapter overview, etc. Having a color coding system or even just keeping your notes legible, helps you retain the information as you write it and follow it when you need to study it. When studying, rewrite your notes -- the more you do this, the more you'll remember each time and eventually you will be able to rewrite your notes without looking at the original paper.

6. Folders/Binders.

Whether you did this in high school or not, you will have to get in the habit of keeping things organized in folders or binders for each of your classes. Don't put it all in one giant one unless you organize it to the max. Label your folders or have different colors for each class, and put all your required supplies in your backpack before bed the night before. The last thing you want is to get to class and realize you have nothing you need. You get a lot of material in your classes, so you need to have a spot to keep it all for reference and to take back and forth between class and home. Most of your professors will require a folder or binder anyways, so you might as well get used to using them sooner rather than later.

7. Time.

Manage your time. Get your work done before going to the park or a ball game or out with your friends. Start on projects early to avoid rushing to finish last minute. Writing when things are due will help you keep track and rewrite them a few times along the way to remind you "this week work on history project for a bit". Getting a little done at a time is better than procrastinating and stressing yourself out at the last minute. Write down time for appointments, classes, meetings, games, etc. Know exactly what you have to do and when and you'll always be on track.

8. Take Time For Yourself

Go easy on yourself. No one is perfect, and it can be incredibly difficult to stay on top of everything in your life. Do your best, but remember if you mess up, it is okay to make mistakes. All that matters is that you are trying. Take time for yourself. Stay home and watch your favorite Lifetime movies, paint your nails, play video games, make yourself a yummy dinner, go on a walk, write in your journal, go work out, etc. Making time for yourself is a good way to wind down and keep yourself going. College isn't easy and neither is living on your own. It can get the best of you at times, so make sure you allow time to take care of yourself. Enjoy life and step back from all the obligations you have. Taking care of yourself above all else is the #1 key to succeeding in anything. When you're happy and healthy, then you can conquer the world.