8 Christmas Movies For A Winter Break Moviethon

Holiday traditions never fade, and movies are no exception. See if your favorite movies made the cut!

140
pexels.com

For those who celebrate Christmas, there are many traditions that your families probably partake in. Some families bake cookies; some make hot chocolate, and, if you're anything like my family, some watch holiday movies.

Holiday movies, to me, are some of the best things about the time of year. Their goals are to make you feel good, and they tend to have a lesson to learn at the end. So, I've compiled a list of some movies that I think are pretty jolly.

1. Love Actually

“If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around.”

Love Actually is one of my absolute favorite holiday films ever. It's very hilarious, full of love, and it makes you appreciate the early 2000's. Growing up, and even now, it is full of great advice. I can't tell you how many times I've referenced this movie just to straighten out things in my own life. Also, I just love watching Hugh Grant dance throughout the rooms of 10 Downing Street.

2. The Santa Clause

"Can we take a direct flight back to reality, or do we have to change planes in Denver?"

This is one of the most iconic movies of the 90's, that my brother and I watched every single Christmas. He'd come home from college, and, almost immediately, this tape would be in the VHS. The father-son dynamic between Scott and Charlie Calvin is like no other, and they get taken on an adventure of a lifetime. It gives a new perspective on who Santa Claus is. Also, don't forget to look out for Bernard's sarcasm that makes every situation better.

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas

"Forgive me, Mr. Claus. I'm afraid I've made a terrible mess of your holiday."

I know there are arguments about whether or not this movie is a Christmas film or a Halloween film, but it counts as both for me. If you haven't seen it, Jack Skellington, the "Pumpkin King", has gotten bored with Halloween's yearly routine and decides to take over Christmas instead. It's musical, joyous, and all in good fun. Just don't follow in his footsteps or you may end up kidnapping Santa.

4. Home Alone

"Damn. How can you give Kris Kringle a parking ticket on Christmas Eve? What's next, rabies shots for the Easter Bunny?"

Another classic 90's film, we follow Kevin McCallister as he's left home for the holidays by his family. Two men try to rob his house, and it is up to him to keep things under control. Kevin cleverly devises a plan to protect himself, and the rest is for you to find out. Just know that Old Man Marley isn't what he seems to be.

5. A Christmas Story

In this movie, we follow a nine-year-old Ralphie Parker as he reminisces his most memorable Christmas ever. Narrated by his older self, his personality is magnified as he reaches many obstacles throughout the Christmas season. All he wants is an official Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle, is that too much to ask?!

6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

"Hate, hate, hate. Hate, hate, hate. Double hate. LOATHE ENTIRELY."

A Dr. Seuss classic turned live-action, Jim Carrey SLAYS his role as the Grinch. He adds a comedic flair that you never knew was missing. Not to mention, his quotes are pretty relatable. He struts and owns it with his exaggerations and dramatics. This movie proves that green is definitely his color...

7. Jingle All the Way

"Who told you you could eat my cookies?"

Former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger plays Howard Langston, workaholic father who doesn't have time for his wife and son. In attempts to redeem himself, he seeks out the only thing his kid, Jamie, wants: a Turbo Man action figure. Problem is, it's sold out...everywhere. So, Howard goes to try and find the toy, fighting many other parents, including that dang Myron Larabee. My brother is a massive fan of Arnold and has even met him a few times, so you can probably guess how many times I've seen this movie. And, just for future reference, don't be like Ted.

8. It's a Wonderful Life

It would be blasphemous if I didn't mention this absolutely beautiful film. I've watched this every year with my father for as long as I can remember and can quote his movie all the way through. In this film, we are introduced to a suicidal George Bailey, played by the incredible James Stewart, who has realized that he has given up his dreams for the sake of others. Coming to him for an intervention, his guardian angel, Clarence, introduces George to an alternate universe showing how things would be if he had never been born. His goal is to show George that, without him, so many people would've suffered or not been there at all. One of the best films ever made, it keeps my hopes high that I'll find a love like George and Mary's, and, at the ring of a bell, an angel always gets his wings.