Reocurring 70s trends

Are The 2010's The New 70's?

I think we can all agree that the 70's era was one of the best eras. Fashion, music, and art was so groovy its hard not to like all of the abstract creations people came up with. I have noticed some trends coming back from the 70's today and I'm LOVING this movement... Once in style, always in style right?

54
Are The 2010's The New 70's?

70's trends have always been in and out of style but since attending The College of Charleston, I've noticed how many of those trends are occurring. I mean honestly I feel like I'm living in "That 70's Show" in the community at CofC. Between the fashion, artistic styles,haircuts, and new bands, many of them give off serious 70's vibes. Fashion trends from the past always find their way back to the surface starting with the iconic...

1. Bell bottom jeans & more

Sadly i'll never be able to pull these off because I'm so short but they are SUPER COMFY- at least all the ones I have tried on were. They look great on tall people, Donna from 'That 70's Show' could definitely pull them off, what a legend. Bell Bottoms are just one of the reoccurring trends from the 70's there are SO many more, such as, platform boots, jumpsuits, band tees, v necks, tie dye, ponchos. Like I said, some fashion never goes out of style, what can we say.. I mean we are a bunch of hippies haha.

2. Artistic styles 

I have noticed SO many similar wall decor, paintings, sketches, etc of things that legit remind me of Eric Forman's basement... like honestly my bedroom walls look similar to some of the posters they had in the basement. With my dad growing up in the 70's I feel like I've inherited his groovy-ness (as if that is even possible and like groovy-ness is even a word LOL). My dad always tells me how much I remind him of him when he was young and he tells me how similar our bedrooms looked. I have my walls covered in lights and abstract posters and canvases. I might have a lot of cool art on my walls but one things my dad always tells me I'm missing is...

3. Black light

BLACK LIGHT and black light posters!!!!!! My dad has been on me for weeks about getting one... weird right? A parent actually telling you to spend your money? He always mentions how many black lights/posters him and his brothers had over the years, sadly he couldn't find any of them sadly but we ended up looking them up on ebay and they are worth a good amount of money??? Like what, my dad is so dope. He literally drives a 1970 Camaro so It doesn't get much more 70's than that. Vintage is where it's at- which is DEFINITELY a 2010's trend that i've seen on campus. As I mentioned in the beginning of the article, since being at CofC I've for sure noticed a more 70's vibe on campus and my roommate agrees so I'm not crazy, it's like a thing at the college?? Not only does everyone dress like we're on the set of 'That 70s Show' but the cofc bands are like the modern day Beatles which brings me to my next similarity...

4. Music

Music is similar to fashion in the sense that it never goes out of style. Different sounds will always make way to our ears but some will always repeat. I think we can all agree Rock and Roll will be around forever which was in its PRIME in the 70's. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, the list legends goes on & on and they have definitely ALL impacted the modern rock music today- especially at CofC as I mentioned above. The bands are very talented and you can definitely see where their creativity/ inspiration stems from. It reminds me of the 70's even more so because all of the band members look like the complete rock stars with long and swoopy hair, like seriously there are Michael Kelso's and Jim Morrison's all over campus which is another trend coming back...

5. Makeup & Hair 

Glitter and vibrant colors are so popular right now in the makeup community... as they were in the 70s I mean it was a disco era what do you expect!!!! Vibrant colors on the eyes is SUCH a look. I personally do not like wearing eye shadow but one of my friends loves to do cool looks with vibrant colors and she is definitely living in the wrong decade, shout out to Kelly :) While some males at cofc rock the flowy hair look, the female also rock the middle parts, layers, big curls, honestly I've seen such a variety and everyone has their own style and owns it. CofC is honestly on a different level!

While things today are still VERY different then the 70's there are definitely still many similarities between the art we like, the music we listen to, where we gain out outfit inspo from and so much more. I love being involved in a community full of so many different people that are all like and an relate to each other at the same time... Peace, Love, & Rock and Roll forever!!!