7 Ways To Stay Healthy During A Busy Semester

Have you heard of the bedtime feature located in the clock app on your iPhone?

64
Her Campus at Duke University

Now is the time when many of us are looking ahead to summer vacation. As the snow and ice cover our towns, we're dreaming of the fun adventures the warmer weather will bring while setting personal goals to feel our healthiest. Achieving these goals can seem tough as the semester gets hectic. Between keeping up with homework, exams, and a social life, those goals slowly fade into a distant memory. Add on an extra load of stress if you'll be graduating this semester. Having a plan for when your life gets busy can help you stay on track. Here are 7 ways to stay healthy during a busy semester.

1. Drink more water

When we get stressed, the first thing we tend to do is reach for caffeinated, sugary beverages. This causes us to get a sugar-rush and then crash, ultimately making us feel worse than we did before. By choosing to drink more water, we will feel more alert as well as stay healthier.

Tip: Order water at restaurants, you'll feel better after your meal and actually save some money.

2. Plan your meals or meal prep on the weekends

We all know how it is when you get home from a long day and don't feel like cooking an actual meal. Often times we order delivery, go to a fast food restaurant on our way home or fix that family size box of mac-and-cheese in our pantry. Try planning out a menu for the week or prepping your meals on the weekends. This saves you from staring in your fridge for 20 minutes and you'll hold yourself accountable to eat healthier.

Tip: Pinterest fast, easy recipes or write out your menu and keep it on the fridge.

3. Shop consciously at the grocery store

Make a list of what you want to buy before you shop in order to avoid mindlessly grabbing things off the shelves. Fill your list with foods that will keep you full and energized. Stick to your list and don't go down the aisles filled with chips and cookies. If it's in your kitchen, you'll be tempted to eat it when you get those inevitable cravings.

Tip: Aim to buy organic fruits and vegetables. They may cost extra, but they will taste better and last longer. Buy local brands to support your community!

4. Set a reasonable schedule to exercise

Any amount of exercise is better than no exercise. Even if you start by jogging on the treadmill or riding a stationary bike for 20 minutes, I promise you'll feel better. Exercising is a good way to relieve stress after a hard day and to burn off those extra calories. The key is to set a reasonable schedule that you can keep up with. Let's face it, no one has time to spend 3 hours a day in the gym, but I think we can all squeeze in half an hour somewhere.

Tip: Check out the App Store for an app that will help you track your workouts. It's a great way to remind yourself of your goals and track how far you've come!

5. Schedule social time

Spending time socializing is more important than most people think. It's time to give our brains a break and relieve stress by laughing with friends. It can also help us beat those winter blues. The key is to balance social time while also getting your homework and studying done.

Tip: Schedule a mandatory game or movie night with your friends once a week. This can give you something to look forward to on those days/weeks that seem to drag on.

6. Schedule time for yourself

Everyone needs their "me time". This can be a time to reflect on the way things are going in your life. You can evaluate what's good, what's bad, and what changes you want to make. This is also a good way to stay on top of your goals. You can assess how far you've come and how you plan to push yourself to those goals. Sometimes "me time" might be reading a good book, journaling, crafting, or just enjoying the silence. Whatever it is that you like to do, schedule time to do it.

Tip: Try out meditation or yoga as a way to destress and enjoy time focusing on yourself.

7. Go to bed early

A healthy body and mind start with a good night of sleep. Our body likes a routine when it comes to sleep. Set a time to be asleep each night and stick to it. If you haven't finished your to-do list for the day, see if it is something you could finish the next day. You can't pour from an empty cup. Get your rest!

Tip:Use the bedtime feature located in the clock app on your iPhone. You can see what time you need to go to sleep and wake up to get your 6-8 hours of sleep. You can set an alarm to remind you to go to sleep and even track how well you sleep through the night.