7 Ways To Leave A Drive-Thru Better Than You Found It, From A Former Drive-Thru Worker

Don't be unintentionally rude to workers.

44

America: the land of the free, the home of the brave and the nation of drive-thrus. Most people have probably been through a drive-thru at some point. Straight from the lips (well, fingers) of a former drive-thru employee, I’m here to tell you how to make workers’ lives a little easier.

1. Unsure about what to order? Come inside.

Drive-thru employees are timed on how fast they get your order in. From the second you pull up to the speaker to the second you leave the window, the clock is ticking. Don’t make the employees at your beloved fast food restaurant look bad. Only go through the drive-thru if you know what you want.

2. Loud truck? You're getting on employees' nerves, guaranteed.

If you have a diesel-guzzling engine in your monster truck, turn it off at the speakers. It’s already hard enough to hear without the roar of an engine, so leaving your vehicle on is definitely going to make employees’ lives harder.

3. On the phone? Hang up.

A drive-thru employee isn’t going to know if you’re trying to order or talking to your oh-so-important person on the other line. Just stop.

4. Smoking a cigarette? Put it out.

Drive-thru employees can most definitely do without a stream of cigarette smoke blown in their places. Your cigarette can wait, I promise.

5. Worried employees got your order wrong? Check after you leave the window.

Once again, employees are timed on their drive-thru performance. Don’t make the clock keep going just because you want to see if they gave you one package of sauce or two. Chill out. Plus, the other people behind you in line are probably going to be mad at you.

6. Need to add something to your order? Too bad.

The speakers at the beginning of the drive thru are there for a reason. Adding something to your order at the window only racks up the drive time. Plus, it makes everyone behind you wait.

7. Raining? Turn off your windshield wipers.

Rain isn’t fun. But, really? Drive-thru employees are not on the clock to take an unexpected shower. This is common sense.

To all drive-thru employees, I’m sorry people are so rude. To all fast food lovers, please be conscious of how you treat employees.