7 Ways You Can Combat Writers Block

7 Ways You Can Combat Writers Block

The blank page open in front you in some elaborate act of self-deception that feels like work.

42
7 Ways You Can Combat Writers Block
gawkerassets

When I’m working on a paper, or article, or anything else writing-related, I sometimes find myself staring at the blank page, trying to figure out how I’ve ever written anything successfully. This is usually followed by several failed attempts to write a single line, only to take a three of five episode Netflix break before repeating the process. However, I have figured out some tactics which help can help in combating writer's block, and breaking this cycle.

1. Write something unrelated to your task

We both know that if you close the document, it won’t be reopened for quite some time. So, try procrastinating by writing something else— it could be a paragraph on your frustrations or even an article on writer's block. This could spark an idea, but even if you can only bare to type a few words unrelated to your topic before opening a new tab, at least you’ll have a place to return to after you finish procrastinating.

2. Let your phone die

If you’re like me you may find yourself looking down at your phone, the blank page open in front you in some elaborate act of self-deception that feels like work. Simply trying to ignore it isn’t always effective, as a casual glance easily becomes a distraction. If the phone is dead, the temptation is gone— or at least requires more effort.

3. Jot down all of your ideas

Write down whatever comes to mind; a few bullet points on vague ideas or a one-line concept can result in something brilliant. Don’t worry about any grammatical or structural rules in your notes; if you put something down that doesn’t make sense, just keep going. You never know what will end up working when you look back at it.

4. Move around a little bit

This method both allows for a distraction and a moment away from the screen. Walk around the room or stretch, and try not to think about writing, so you can go back to your task with a clear mind.

5. Do something even less desirable

If you need to take a break, the best thing you can do is something you don’t want to; clean up around the house, or do other work. You may find yourself drawn back to the computer— and if not, at least you’ve accomplished something that needed to be done

6.Embrace bad ideas

If you think all of your ideas are bad, run with the best of the worst. Whether you use it or don’t, you have a starting point— and a chance that a bad idea will lead a good one, or even become something great. If that doesn’t happen, and you’re still out of ideas, just remind yourself that writing is subjective, and make it the best you possibly can.

7. Just Start

In the end, you may find yourself having to force out the words— if you don’t like any of your ideas, try them out anyway. Don’t start by worrying if they're good or not; focus on the process and the ideas you're putting down, and save the editing for later. Don't worry about if you like it, but try writing something you're at least okay with,