7 Ways Buffy Slayed Female Stereotypes

7 Ways Buffy Slayed Female Stereotypes

She's a new type of hero.

345
7 Ways Buffy Slayed Female Stereotypes
Tracking Board

The 90s, with its awesome stye, amazing music, and classic television shows, came with one badass character: Buffy. Joss Whedon's hit television show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" changed the way that women were viewed. The T.V. show demonstrated that women could also save the world and could do so on their own, in their own way. Buffy redefined what it meant to be a hero. Here are 7 ways that Buffy demonstrated the strength that comes along with being a female, a hero, and of course a vampire slayer:

1. Dying, coming back to life, and then killing the master.

The first season of the T.V. series introduced the audience to who Buffy really was. We see Buffy grow from the witty, typical teenage girl, to a slayer with an understanding of her duty. Although Buffy fights her destiny with the Master at first, she comes to realize that there is no escaping what lies ahead of you; the only way to defeat those issues is to face them head on. It also helps if you have Giles, Willow, Angel, and Xander watching your back.

2. Buffy killing her one true love in order to save the world (again).

The heartbreaking second season finale of Buffy ended with Buffy finally finding the strength to kill Angel. All season long, we mourned the death of Angel and patiently waited to have Angelus curse reversed only to see that the solution to save Angel would end in heartbreak. Buffy illustrates that when it is your duty to save the world, you must put your feelings aside and do what is right for the greater good. *sniffles*

3. Buffy running away to New York, helping those controlled by the cult and then returning home.

It is not one of Buffy's best moments, but it reminds us that in the end we are all human and make mistakes. In an attempt to leave the heartache of killing Angel behind, Buffy runs to New York, only to find that people need saving there too. Buffy rises to the occasion and gives herself a reminder that she is Buffy the vampire slayer, there is nothing she can't do!

4. Exposing Professor Walsh for who she really is.

From season one, we have learned that Buffy can never be less than what she is. That becomes a problem in season four when Buffy joined the Initiative. Our feelings of mistrust with the secret agency was heightened when Professor Walsh, after having enough of Buffy's insubordinate behavior, tries to kill her by locking her away with one demon. Buffy defeats the demon and shows Walsh that she doesn't get what a slayer is or the power Buffy has.

5. Buffy sacrificing herself for Dawn's sake.

The weirdest plot twist of all, Buffy has a sister. In the intense fifth season finale, Buffy discovers that the only way to defeat this evil goddess is with Dawn's death. Yet, she sacrifices herself in place, because that is what sisters do for on another. Buffy shows the audience once again, that to be a slayer you must make the hard choices to save the world (and family).

6. Buffy saving the world with her quick feet.

Perhaps the most bizarre episode of the entire series, Sunnydale is taken hostage by a musical demon. The only way to defeat it is to dance (until you die). Buffy dances and begins to fall apart. It is not until Spike that stops Buffy from bursting into flames, that the demon departs. It is a reminder that sometimes we all need a little help from our friends and it is okay to recieve that.

7. When Buffy releases the power of the slayer to all those who shall inherit it.

One thing that Buffy continuously mentions, is that she is always on her. It is her job to save the world. In the exciting series finale, Buffy breaks the curse and gives all the potential slayers the power to save the world. It is a message to all women to embrace the power and show the world what they are made of.

In the end, Buffy showed everyone that a woman could save the world and in most cases, could do it better than anyone else.