7 Things We Missed while Obsessing Over #Caitlyn

One major transformation, hundreds of ignored stories.

6
Vanity Fair

Bruce Jenner's transformation into the stunning Caitlyn Jenner has captured the attention of citizens across the country and has sparked many conversations involving the experiences of transgender individuals. While this has been very important in the development of LGBTQ awareness, the media has ignored many important events that have also occurred the past few weeks throughout the world. Here are seven of those events.

1. The government of Nigeria places a ban on all female genital mutilation. The country of Nigeria reached a milestone in their not-so-pleasant history involving women's rights and human degradation. With the act of genital mutilation now prohibited, the country has publicly made a step towards addressing social justice issues, especially regarding women.

2. Two convicted murderers escape from a maximum security prison in New York. Two murderers broke out of prison using power tools smuggled into their cells. Drilling through walls and pipes, the two escaped in the night leaving nothing but a note saying, "have a nice day."

3. USA Freedom Act passed. This act prohibits the government from collecting phone records and other such information in massive quantities. It can be viewed as an amendment to a section in the Patriot Act which expired on June 1, 2015.

4. Afghanistan police base attacked by Taliban. 17 police officers are dead and two wounded after an attack on a police station in Afghanistan. Two Taliban were also reported dead in the attack.

5. Capsized cruise ship in the Yangtze River, over 400 dead. The Eastern Star, a Chinese cruise ship, capsized in the Yangtze River earlier this month. Over 400 have been confirmed dead with many still considered missing. Only 14 survivors has been reported while massive rescue efforts are still underway.

6. American Pharaoh wins the first Triple Crown in 37 years. In front of thousands of spectators, American Pharaoh won the Triple Crown, a combination of three races spread out over three states, the Kentucky Derby in Kentucky, the Preakness Stakes in Maryland, and the Belmont Stakes in New York. American pharaoh was the first winner of the crown since Affirmed succeeded in 1978.

7. Hurricane Blanca and Carlos cause turmoil and terror in Mexico. Two intense hurricanes have threatened the western coast of Mexico. While no deaths have been reported this major natural disaster has been lost among the multitude of stories involving Caitlyn Jenner.