7 Things My ACU Theatre Major Freshman Year Taught Me

All for one, one for all, all for the love of the stage.

36
Ryan Derrick

As a theatre major at Abilene Christian University, there are many things that I have learned from many different people. I am thankful for all of my wonderful new friends and professors. Freshman year can be tough as a theatre major, so here's seven things to keep in mind your first year.

1.Talk Less. Smile More.

It’s not only a Hamilton quote, but a good way to live your life. Frequently, we tend to focus on the negative, making us feel discouraged or unmotivated. If we think of experiences in a more positive light and smile more often, rather than running our mouth about every issue that comes across our plate, we can spread positivity and joy.

2. Tomorrow Comes.

If you’re having an off day, always remember that you get another chance come tomorrow. We all mess up, and your teachers and directors know this. We’re not supposed to be perfect; we’re supposed to be human.

3. Give 110 Percent.

This is probably the best point on this list. If you don’t give any effort, how do you expect to become successful in the future? Always remember to give as much effort as you can, even in the small things. Laziness is the difference between success and failure.

4. Watch your Mouth.

Gossip is one of the easiest ways to start corruption in the theatre community. It’s an easy way to tear down friendships and lose respect among friends. Sure, it may be fun to spread gossip, but in the end there’s simply no time for it.

5. Don’t take it personally.

Too often in the theatre world, a person will say something that makes another person shoot off like a rocket and storm out of the room. Rather than raging out, keep calm. Don’t let other negative comments get you down. Take them like a grain of salt.

6. It’s okay to ask.

There is not a single person that knows everything there is to know about the theatre world, not even your professors. Let’s stop acting like we know everything and start asking questions. In the end, you’ll obtain more knowledge and get more out of your experience.

7. There is a role for everyone.

Whether center stage or behind a tech booth, every role is important. A show cannot go on with only one person contributing. It takes a team of people to put on a show, and you’re one of them. It’s also important to stay humble through everything and lift up others, rather than tear them down.