2017 has been quite the year for America. We said goodbye to Obama and hello to Trump, we witnessed the Solar Eclipse, Hurricane Harvey struck our coast, and many tragically lost their lives in Las Vegas.
2017 was also quite the year for me as I completed my eligibility playing Division 1 Softball, graduated, started graduate school, and moved to a new state.
I'm amazed by all the things we still take for granted and wanted to take the time to list some things I am thankful for in 2017.
1. The right to vote- whether you agree with American's decision in electing Trump into office or not, be thankful for the right to vote. We had some say in who became President and many countries are not given that opportunity.
2. Higher Education - I am so thankful that I live in a society where there is a large stress on higher education. Sure, I complain about graduate school all the time, but I am thankful that my country understands the importance of college and graduate school to our country's success. It is in these schools that we are educating the future leaders of tomorrow.
3. Technology- I am thankful for technology and while many say our generation is too dependent on it, I do see it's benefits. We're able to accomplish so many things at a faster and more efficient pace, we can stay more organized, and we are able to research a lot deeper into the many mysteries of the world today. Not sure where I'd be without a computer or cell phone so I'm pretty thankful these are around.
4. Freedom-We often take our freedom for granted. Our freedom of religion, our freedom of speech, our freedom to virtually do whatever the heck we want. The news shows many countries without this freedom and it hurts my heart. Part of what makes America so great is our ability to have the freedom to express our true selves No one is the same and the diversity makes this country stand out.
5. My Life- Recently we've seen so many tragic deaths and mass shootings that makes me incredibly thankful for my life. When you read the victim's stories, you realize they're a lot like you and me and that could have easily been me to die. Often we think these things won't ever happen to us, but the reality is, it can and there is not a moment we should take our lives or our family and friend's lives for granted.
6. Good Family and Friends- I am thankful each and everyday for the people surrounding me. I've seen so many stories where family members abuse their other members, or even murder their own kin. You see family members not accepting of their own or pushing their children to be who they want them to be, not who they are and it's honestly so sad. I'm grateful for my family and friends that push me to be the best version of myself daily and support my wildest dreams.
7. New Beginnings- Finally, I am thankful for new beginnings. This year had a lot of news for me and I am thankful for each day that I am able to put aside the past and move forward. No matter what happens the day before, we can wake up and change our future. I love that about life. I am thankful that while I was sad to close one door of my life, I have been opened to many more and begin a new chapter. There is so much beauty in starting over and I am so grateful everyday for the new opportunities.
So, during this holiday season, let's remember to be thankful for even the small things and not take a single thing for granted.