7 Things I Learned Attending One of the Most Stressful Colleges in America
Life Stages

NYU is great and all... except for the four midterms in each class and 80 thousand dollar student debt bills.

222
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DsrAFvmw1hsjdWyTpgEgn9N8vbVWWTGqTsPibNE9oVNZvNPXBDl8bZltBZmh1sYqtSkf2Cxk7X0grwgsWdN9NYUztLBB9AFEr7IukDn7O1TTBimVPORwGzT2io2dmOgRoZBQyWxQZjFSxvJ2whr0-dDrmtrc94ZERKRGt7-ieBAhNOwurs6AvDH6fLumYqrHDrHNjg-AyzdFV33Hi5v6J09sSenRoFBgjCAxzm1SWn8KkUSnzvkL5wq-9b5sLZb1GlrT2QPkKgo-VKf2qHLVY22C_dE-DifrCAaIIVJYJTBd2us68GPyQ_tFxRIQusba-P3ALodGtCBRsUchTGlyrIIXLY0OstpqzJvhckaPs9tMun4wuRuN-K9wLUUG7YzZlr9jNdvP4ik0GBKqeQR3LzXQCOL1oQkNLQmS-Zsvjd_IsgY-n6ownU2-iiQq814I9C7Y-Wa9TTpMRL9iKjXlskFJbEbnevE6OOTg2EOf9D3bhmZoLDmT2Wh-vLvam2wDwMLepJIE3gIwtWe0VD1ycjXL2O9yo8sgX2PGzHjxb5qTKxID-mWJOjlTVPgZJUwOiVafyxh1Qo9-OzA52SeTDYL4TxPXx6MJ5LHgwqtv_C4yX5cEPjMa7KvNAbJYKvcWhmbj3pQYT58lgQq6YOMqHZOu=w687-h915-no
https://unsplash.com/photos/96DW4Pow3qI

Attending college in one of the world's greatest cities has its ups and downs. City life can be challenging and overwhelming, but add on to that the stresses of normal college life? Well...Good Luck Charlie (cue the perfect opportunity to throw in a Disney reference!). Here are seven things I've learned during my first year at New York University.

1. Your family become your best friends.

In high school, I would sometimes go a full day without even seeing my family and now I welcome the moments
I see an incoming call from my mom on my phone. Being thrown into an environment where you know absolutely no one is terrifying, so treasure and build the connection with the ones who will support you no matter what.

2. Don't rush friendship...

Everyone wants to find a group of fun-loving friends right away in college. Sometimes that leads you to the wrong people. Don't force friendships, and I promise, the right people will be placed into your life when you need them most.

3. ...but hold the true ones close to you.

I cannot emphasize the power and love a close group of friends can offer you. They become your family away from home. Once you find a real one, hold on to them. They will help you through the hardest times.

4. Depend on your classmates.

That all nighter you just pulled? The five essays you finished in a single week? The final you failed? Guess what, 6000 people are doing it with you. When you feel tired and drained, use you classmates to find your strength because you aren't alone in the grind.

5. Bad things will happen...you just have to accept it.

No one is going to hold your hand or dry your tears for you anymore. That's the harsh truth. Not everything will go your way and there will be times you find yourself alone, struggling and sad. The quicker you learn to accept that life isn't always easy, the faster you can pick yourself back up.

6. Student deals are your best friend.

College costs an arm and a leg. Look out for the numerous student deals out there and take advantage of them while you can. (My personal fav? $4.99/month Hulu and Spotify combined!)

7. Lastly...don't forget to live it up.

You will begin your professional life soon enough. The time to party and just have fun will decrease as the years progress so don't forget to try new things, get involved and just have some fun!