7 Things I Hate About SVU

7 Things I Hate About SVU

These are not the stories I want to watch.

179
7 Things I Hate About SVU
Wikipedia

1. They did Nick Amaro so dirty.

Okay, so this is somewhat old news, since Nick left the show at the end of season 16, but it hasn't felt right since. Besides, the whole time he was there, the writers could not let this guy catch a break. We were introduced to him as a great cop and dedicated family man, and awful story line after awful story line, he was basically a shell of that character. It didn't help that him leaving felt more like kicking the character when he was already down: First he's told he can't have his dream job as sergeant, and then he gets shot in the knee so he can't work? How unfair.

2. What are they even doing with Amanda?

Talk about bad writing. Amanda's character this season has been kind of a hot mess. Whether it's constantly not believing the victim and practically telling them that to their face, or pretty much blaming them for what happened to them, this season the episodes seem to end with Amanda buying these girls dinner and apologizing way too often. But why? She was never this cynical before, even if she's been in the wrong during a case now and then. It almost makes me wonder if they're working up writing her off of the show, and trying to make her lack of empathy the reason why.

3. So, uh, we're not gonna talk about what's happened to Sonny, are we?

Oh Sonny. Maybe it's SVU's new thing, not caring about any detective that came in after Elliot left. Sonny literally had a gun to his head last season, and was close to dying if Olivia hadn't saved him. You would think we would see him be shaken for a while, but.... Nope. Then this season, the guy he was trying to save, while he was the perp, falls out of his grasp and dies in front of him. And the next episode he's just fine. Then just recently he was in a car accident that killed a victim and while we see him sitting in the ambulance, shaken, Olivia later says he's A-Okay in the next scene. What? I wouldn't blame him if he chooses to leave, because it doesn't seem to me like anyone is going to get him some help.

4. They replaced Barba with one of the most uninteresting characters they ever had.

Let's ignore, for a moment, the whole "being stalked and having his life threatened" plot they were starting in season 17. The writers sure did. But now they wrote Barba off the show, which is fine, ADA's come and go and eventually we all knew they weren't keeping him forever, even though we hoped he would. But then they bring in his replacement, Peter Stone, who is supposed to be the son of a DA from the original Law & Order, and he's... the least interesting ADA they ever had. Sure, he's only had half a season to try and fit in, but he just doesn't, and it's really starting like the writers thought giving us Walmart when we were used to Gucci and hoped we wouldn't mind.

5. Can someone remind the writers that Fin's a sergeant now?

So last season, it's mentioned that Fin passed the sergeants exam (never mind he said he didn't want to take it back in season 16) and we were all super excited! But then everyone kept referring to him as detective, and nobody's seem to really acknowledge his new ranking. In fact, he hasn't seemed to really have anything new to do. And he's getting less scenes than he had before too. While Ice-T probably doesn't care (or remember), you'd think the writers might, but apparently not.

6. Liv dating Tucker...

Again, this is somewhat old news, but when the show put Liv and Ed Tucker together? It had a lot of people scratching their heads. After all, he was constantly after Olivia and Elliot's badges throughout the series, and was a thorn in the side of everyone at SVU. So why did they decide that putting these two together was a good idea? Sure, it was somewhat short lived, but it made no sense at all either way.

7. The writers... aren't very good at their job.

*Sometimes (a lot of the time). Okay, so this might be a little harsh, but it's true. Whether it's dropped plot lines (*cough* Barba's being threatened, Sonny's mysterious girlfriend *cough*), character assassination (*cough* Amanda and Alex Cabot this season *cough*), or "writing characters into walls" (*cough* Nick Amaro *cough*) the writers are just... lacking. Not to mention the episode this season that was almost word for word an old episode from when Elliot was around. All the other points above are because the writers, and maybe before the show reaches season 20, we'll have a new batch of writers who give us some new and fresh ideas.