7 Things Future ONU Students Should Know

AKA things I found out my freshmen year.

24
wedding-spot.com

When I arrived on campus, I had no idea what to do when my mom left. I was on my own for the first time. I had no idea of the experiences that would befall me while I was at Ohio Northern University. Everyone I know shaped my experience at ONU and I am so thankful I went to ONU. I could not have imagined a better freshman year. Here are some things that incoming students should keep in mind.

1. Your roommate will be essential to your survival.

Your roommate will probably be the first non-RA or leader you will actually talk to. They will become your guidepost and you will become theirs, even if it's just for the orientation. You do not need to become absolute best friends with your roommate to feel the roommate bond. You will both help each other adjust to college life.

2. You will find your closest friends--maybe not right away.

It takes time to build a friendship that will survive the test of time. Do not expect that you will automatically click with someone when you arrive on campus. You may, but if it doesn't happen, do not fret; friends will come eventually. I know this personally. The people I met at orientation activities are not the people I hang with now.

3. Yes, the swans really are that mean.

There are three swans on campus, and they will not hesitate to fight you. They are fearless birds of prey. One sideways glance can throw you into the ring. They are so pervasive that a student gave a whole speech on them. Just avoid them and you should be okay, but they do find ways to find new prey.

4. If you eat Mac a lot, prepare for the after attacks.

Mac Attacks are much more than myths; they are real. They have been the downfall of many polar bears. My recommendation is to balance your meals between Mac and White Bear or solely go to White Bear. All the same, when you do get a Mac Attack, get to the nearest bathroom and hope your pride stays intact. I heard that some professors understand Mac Attacks as an excuse to being late to class.

5. You will battle it out about the pizza places.

It's a surprise that in such a small town like Ada, there are so many pizza places. The main places are 3 Brothers, Padrone's, and East of Chicago. I personally prefer Padrone's (hint: get their ranch, you will want to bathe in it), but I know several people who swear by 3 Brothers or EOC. Also, there are the few that go to Lima to get pizza. The solution is to try them all.

6. Be prepared to get to know everyone on campus.

The campus is so small that you will probably see the same people when you are walking to class. Class sizes are also small so you will get to know students and professors alike. I cannot tell you how many times I've been walking to class and heard "Hey Grace!". A lot of the students at ONU are super friendly and won't hesitate to talk to you. The professors get to know you really well and really do care about you and your future.

7. You will find entertaining ways to have fun.

Being in such a small town, you don't have the luxuries of being in a big city school, but you do have the advantage. This makes you much more creative when it comes to the weekends. You don't have someone to create the fun for you, so you create it. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant, maybe just going to the local bowling alley or something. But I would bet my tuition that those are the nights you look back on with fondness.

I hope you students really appreciate all the things that ONU has to offer. It has been the best decision I could have made.