7 Things We Can Learn From Kids

7 Things We Can Learn From Kids

Don't underestimate them!

5
7 Things We Can Learn From Kids
flitto.com

Odds are, if you ask a little kid how they feel about being a grown up one day, they'll say they can't wait. As kids get older, even their parents or other adults encourage them to "grow up." Obviously we all have to grow up, but maybe being a bit like a kid isn't always such a bad thing. Here are seven ways in which adults can, and should, learn a thing or two from kids.

1. Unapologetically love things.

The older we get, the more we care about what other people think about us. This also means we worry about being judged for the things we love and how much we love them. But look at children; not only do they outright love the things they do, they love them with enthusiasm. So why shouldn't you?

Sure, the thing you love may be dorky or silly, but so what? If you're not hurting anyone and it makes you happy, there should be no reason to feel ashamed. And even if there are people who make fun of you, who cares? I can guarantee that there are plenty of other people who share the same interest and would love to geek out about it with you.

2. Get excited more!

Children can get excited over the smallest things. Having their favorite food for dinner? Excited! Saw someone walking down the street walking a cute puppy? Day made! Life is so much better when we take the time to notice the small things that make life a little better and to actually be happy about them.

3. Celebrate small wins.

Adults tend to encourage kids and make a big fuss over just about anything they do. And that's great! Being super proud of a child for doing something that may not seem like a big deal helps boost their self esteem and makes it more likely that they'll keep doing the thing they were praised for.

However, as we get older, we get less and less of that reaction for small accomplishments. Which is okay, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't celebrate and be proud of them yourself. Whether you made a great grade on a small quiz, tried something new for the first time, voluntarily talked in class despite being shy, or simply stepped out of your comfort zone just a little, acknowledge that you accomplished something and be proud!

4. Be honest.

One thing that kids are well known for is being extremely honest...maybe a little too honest sometimes. That being said, it wouldn't hurt for us to try and be just a bit more honest like them. Just try to be nicer.

5. Dream big.

If you ask a kindergartner what they want to be when they grow up, you're not just going to get one answer; you're going to get a whole list, most of which either seem, or actually are, impossible.

Obviously I'm not suggesting you go back to believing that you're going to be an astronaut princess who also happens to be a doctor with a unicorn, but I do believe that we should try to get some of that "anything is possible" attitude back. No, not everything you want in this life is going to happen, but shouldn't you at least work hard and try to go after your dreams? After all, the only way they'll never come true for sure is if you don't even try.

6. Be imaginative.

Kids have the best imaginations ever. Sure, there are some who manage to hold on to that creativity once they've grown up, but many don't. This one kind of goes alone with dreaming big; if you allow yourself to dream big, you'll be more likely to come up with unique, awesome things. In other words, allow yourself to be inspired and think big!

7. Don't be afraid to be be curious.

Much to the dismay of parents, children are not afraid to ask questions about anything and everything. If there's something they don't know or understand, they're not afraid to ask. Sadly though, our innate curiosity diminishes with age as the fear of asking too many or simply stupid questions takes over. Don't let it!

There is not a single person who knows everything. If you want to know the answer to a question, ask. Curiosity leads to learning, and learning is an awesome and powerful thing; you should never stop trying to learn.