7 Things That Are Awesome About "Star Wars Episode VII"

Spoilers ahead!

21

Warning: This article contains spoilers. Do not proceed if you do not wish to know details about "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" has shattered box office records, pulling in $248 million in the first weekend alone! JJ Abrams's interpretation of the beloved saga both satisfied nostalgia and invigorated a new generation of fans. Here are the top seven reasons that "Star Wars Episode VII" is more awesome than a barrel-full of Wookies.

1. Rey and Finn kick ass as the leading roles.

Rey (Daisy Ridley) and Finn (John Boyega) bring a whole new feel to this next chapter in the "Star Wars" saga. This dynamic duo gives the movie convincing depth and emotion that was perhaps absent in earlier protagonists (I'm looking at you, Hayden Christianson). We all can't wait to see more out of these two!

2. All your old favorites make an appearance.

All the characters you know and love show their face for at least a bit. Chewbaca is still our rock, Leia in her old age is as feisty as ever, and Han Solo is kicking ass until the day he dies. Oh, and Luke grew a beard.

3. BB-8 is actually awesome.

While no droid can replace R2-D2, this little guy comes close. This little roller has all the sass, courage, and cunning that R2-D2 had in the first six movies but a personality all his own.

4. JJ Abrams managed to make a movie that didn't require time travel or an alternate universe.

Abrams is known for using time travel and alternate universes when he writes himself into a corner ([cough] [cough] "Lost" and "Star Trek"). Thank God, no such cop outs were resorted to in "Episode VII." We can all accept light-speed travel, Wookies, and the Force, but time travel is just unrealistic.

5. The movie is fresh and new while still embracing the charm and cliches of the original trilogy.

While the newest installment of the "Star Wars" saga has its own unique feel distinct from the prequels or the original trilogy, it is no doubt true to its roots. Throughout the movie, winks and nods to the old movies were made, including the classic line, "I have a very bad feeling about this."

6. The lightsaber fight between Rey and Kylo Ren is epic.

For the first two hours of the movie, the only lightsaber action we got was Kylo Ren venting his rage by slashing a wall and Finn clumsily killing a few Storm Troopers. In the epic moment that Rey force pulls the fallen lightsaber relinquished by Finn, we knew it was going to be intense. The girl hasn't touched a light saber once in her entire life, but she still manages to show a Sith who's boss.

7. The end leaves you more than satisfied but hungry for the next episode.

The story of "Episode VII" seems like it's going to wrap up in a neat little package just like "A New Hope" did: the good guys destroy the bad guys' planet-destroying weapon, the loss of a major character is mourned, and the villain is seemingly defeated. But all of a sudden, R2-D2 decides to switch himself on and, along with BB-8, help the Resistance to find the fabled Luke Skywalker. The movie ends with an intense first encounter between Rey and Luke, and it makes you squirm in your seat with excitement to think of the awesomeness that will ensue in "Episode VIII." Luke training Rey, the Jedi rookie of the year? This is gonna be nuts.