7 Song Playlist: Girl Power Edition

7 Song Playlist: Girl Power Edition

Here are 7 songs that I listen to whenever I need that extra boost of confidence, all featuring female artists!

42
7 Song Playlist: Girl Power Edition

"Kill for You (feat. Eminem)": Skylar Grey

If you don't know who Skylar Grey is, then honestly it's about time you do! She is, in my opinion, one of the music industry's strongest women, the powerhouse songwriter behind Rihanna and Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie" and shattering ballad "Coming Home." Her vocals are intoxicating on this track, and deeply reflective in nature; I play it whenever I need to hype myself up (lol) or remind myself of my worth in this world. Eminem also makes an appearance, which is a bit unexpected, but revitalizes the song and gives it a renewed energy. If you like this song, then be sure to check out the rest of the album! It's full of jams, and Grey's vocal style is like that of Lana Del Rey and Tove Lo.

"Gemini Feed": Banks

Banks also has a very raspy, addictive voice, and this high-energy song is great for long runs at the gym or powering through my journey to my 9 am. I would consider Banks to be a kind of indie R&B artist, and if you love this song as much as I do, I would highly recommend checking out her debut LP "Goddess" as well!

"God Bless America-And All The Beautiful Women In It": Lana del Rey

Lana del Rey is a goddess among men, in my opinion, with her hauntingly beautiful, dark and dreamy croon channeling old Hollywood and 1960s-esque vibes (I always imagine her sitting in an old hotel lobby as she writes and records her songs, in an elegant flowy gown and feathers in her hair). This song is a textbook example of female empowerment, portraying women as the most vital element of American society and building them up by referencing things like Lady Liberty and her strength. I listen to this song when I am feeling down about myself for whatever reason, as it reminds me of my worth as a woman succeeding and (trying to, anyway) living her best life in a society where they were once denied the right to vote. If you like this song, check out her other songs "Brooklyn Baby" and "When the World Was at War, We Kept Dancing."

"Like a Prayer": Madonna

I couldn't make a playlist about strong women and not include Madonna! This is perhaps the Queen of Pop's most classic song, and I listen to it whenever I need to motivate myself to study for a test, head to the gym, or go out (lol!). If you like Madonna, then be sure to check out artists like Stevie Nicks, Robyn, Cher, and Lady GaGa (all are super high-energy and super fun to listen to!).

"7/11": Beyonce

Another essential for any female empowerment playlist, this song goes HARD. I play this all the time, to be honest; I used to have a whole cardio routine to it! This is also a great song to play when you're with your girlfriends/having a girl's night, as it's a song everyone can get hype to and dance to in some way! Beyonce's masterpiece "Formation" also can serve this purpose.

"Glory and Gore": Lorde

Rock legend David Bowie called Lorde one of the best new artists in the world of pop music, and I agree wholeheartedly. This is a track from the New Zealand artist's debut LP "Pure Heroine", and her dark, raspy voice captures fiery energy that comments on the duality of fame and fortune (highlight its many dangers in accordance with all the fun that seems to come with it). I listen to this song whenever I want to strut down the street and sport a new fierce new outfit. The rest of Lorde's debut also encapsulates some of this same energy, with lyrics focusing on many of the same themes/general ideas.

"Comme te dire adieu: Francoise Hardy

I could probably write a whole article on Francoise Hardy, and the evolution of female French vocalists throughout the 1960s and 1970s. For those of you who are unfamiliar, Francoise Hardy was the "it girl" in Europe throughout much of the 1960s; she was an icon that France considers to be one of its many national treasures and paved the way for women all over the globe in writing and recording vocal pop (similar in style to that of Frank Sinatra). I could go on forever about her, but I'll let you listen to this beautiful, transcendent work of art first. If you love this piece as much as I do, then be sure to check out literally any of her other albums, as they all are amazing.