7 Reasons Why 'Coco' Is One Of The Best Disney Pixar Movies

Why you should head to the movie theaters right now

16094
Disney Pixar's Coco // Instagram

Some of you may disagree but "Coco" in my opinion, is the best Disney Pixar movie I’ve seen since "Big Hero 6" and "Monsters, Inc." I’ve seen tons of Pixar movies in the past, but this movie takes everything I love about Disney movies and wraps it up into one movie!

Here are the top 7 reasons why I loved this film so much.

1. "Coco" has gorgeous visual/animated effects.

The animation is beautiful in this movie! From the beginning of the movie, in one of the scenes you’re shown what the land of the dead looks like and it takes your breath away! There are so many colors and great visual effects in this movie.

You can tell from the beginning how much effort was put into making this movie. In fact, before the movie started, the Pixar animators of Coco discussed how much work the scene above took to create that one image. It took six drawings that each animator drew individually on a computer screen in order to create the image above. Each of the drawings was then placed on top of one another in order to create one of the scenes in the movie. The end result was a beautiful animation that makes all the previous animated Pixar Movies seem mild in comparison.

In addition, all the colors in the animation add to the overall effect of the movie since the colorful animation reflects the colorful decoration or makeup used in the celebration of Day of the Dead.

2. The message in the film is beautiful.

The overall message in the film is one that relates to both children and adults. The film deals with the importance of family and with the issue of having to choose between your family or following your dreams. For example, the main character Miguel wants to become a musician, but after his great-great-grandfather chose to be a musician and left his wife and child behind, Miguel’s family developed a hatred towards anything that is associated with music. His family thinks that they are protecting him and themselves from facing the same heartbreak that they faced in the past from his great-great-grandfather’s mistake. Instead, they keep Miguel from following his dreams.

The film deals with this idea of following one’s dreams while also dealing with making up for one’s past mistakes. Overall, the important message that really makes the film so great is how it deals with a sort of adult issue but deals with it in a way that children can understand.

The whole theme of the movie is that no matter what happens, part of being in a family is that your family members are always there for you. Growing up in a big family, this message struck home with me. One of the perks of living in a big family is that I always have family members that are there to support me no matter what. It’s one of the reasons why I could relate to this movie.

3. It’s accurate portrayal of Mexican Culture and Day of the Dead.

One of the best things about this movie is that it has an accurate portrayal of Mexican culture and Day of the Dead. I have been to Mexico this past year and after watching "Coco," I felt like I was back in Mexico. Everything in the movie had a detailed representation of Mexican Culture.

One of the biggest things that stood out in the movie was how it highlighted the purpose of Day of the Dead in Mexico. Day of the Dead is about remembering all of one’s relatives or loved ones that have died in the past. One of the biggest fears that people face about death is the fear that, one day, no one will remember them. I think that "Coco" sort of highlights on this fear while also discussing why Day of the Dead is such an important part of Mexican culture.

Day of the Dead also helps people not only remember their deceased loved ones but also deal with any grief from their loved ones’ death. After watching the film, it made me wish that my own family celebrated Day of the Dead.

4. The music was phenomenal.

The music used in the film really highlighted the movie’s portrayal of Mexican culture! Most of the music used in the film was sung in Spanish, and only one song in the film was sung in English. The music was also very beautiful! The main song, “Remember Me,” not only highlighted the overall message of the film, but it also was very well versed and played beautifully. It made the film more emotional. I found myself tearing up during a few scenes when it was played (I won’t tell you which one because then I would spoil it for you).

5. It’s one of the most touching Disney Pixar movies.

"Coco" is about as touching as the previous Pixar movies were such as "Up," "Finding Nemo,"
"Toy Story," and "Monsters, Inc." The story and the characters somehow find a way into your heart. The characters' struggles become your own. I especially thought that the message in the film regarding the importance of family seemed the most touching to me since it reminded me of my own family. I didn’t realize until about the middle of the movie how much I had grown attached to both the characters and the story. The story became real to me.

"Coco" is one of those types of Pixar Movies that, like "Up" or "Finding Nemo," stays with you, even by the end of the credits. The film will haunt you even after weeks of seeing it.

6. It emotionally destroys you.

I’m just going to warn you now, you may need to bring a box of tissues when you go to see "Coco." This movie will destroy your emotions up until the end of the credits. I didn’t expect to cry as much as I did when I first saw the movie. I especially didn’t expect to be taken on an emotional rollercoaster. It made me cry more than the Pixar movies "Up" and "Finding Nemo." And that is saying a lot considering I was sobbing when I first saw the beginning scene of "Up."

There were scenes that were so emotional and touching that everyone in the audience was shedding a few tears. If you don’t shed at least one tear from watching this film, then you’re probably not human.

7. Every character is written beautifully.

Each of the characters are very well written! Each of the characters have their own personalities and struggles that add to the overall plot of the film. Each of the characters’ relationships to one another also plays an important role in the film. For example, Miguel’s relationship with his family plays a big role in the movement of the plot as he struggles with his reluctance to give up his dream of becoming a musician at the cost of losing his family.

His growing relationship with another character, Hector, also adds to the overall film. Hector at first plays the role of helping Miguel so that Miguel will help him in return, but their relationship soon develops into a friendship that helps move the conflict and the plot. The characters are also very realistic and relatable.

My two favorite characters overall are Miguel and Hector. Their relationship was my favorite part of the movie! I loved how their relationship grew over time in the movie from one of reluctance to a deep friendship. Plus, it also doesn't help that Miguel and Hector both have such an adorable friendship! I also loved Miguel’s great-great-grandmother. Despite initially not liking her, her character grew on me by the end of the film. I loved how she was both sassy and stubborn, just like me!

So, go to the movies during winter break and see this movie with your family and friends! I promise you, you won't regret one moment of it!