7 Reasons To Visit Little Rock, Arkansas

Because sometimes you have to leave home to appreciate it.

926
Studio 2121

I moved to Memphis two weeks ago to begin school as a freshman at Rhodes College. I was ecstatic to move to Memphis, which is two hours away from my hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas. I'd always adored the trips my family and friends would make to Memphis, and now I actually get to live in this city I've grown up admiring!

Now, two weeks in, I'm still excited to be living in the city of Memphis, but this transition has left me missing my hometown. The capital of Arkansas is definitely under appreciated, and here are seven reasons why everyone, especially Memphians only two hours away, should make their way to Little Rock.

1. Museums

If you have any interest in something, Little Rock has a museum for it. For art fans, there's the Arkansas Arts Center, which in addition to its exhibits has plays with its Children's Theatre starring local students. For history buffs there's the Old State House, which is located inside the historic former capital building, as well as the Clinton Presidential Library right down the street. My personal favorite, as pictured above, is the Museum of Discovery, a hands on science museum that has been featured on the Tonight Show. And if you're looking for something really wacky, try the Esse Purse Museum on Main Street, which literally features a century of American fashion through purses.

2. Food

When I said there was a museum for everyone, that barely even begins to cover the amount of quality food Little Rock has to offer. Do you want a burger? Try Big Orange, or David's, or Arkansas Burger Company. Or maybe you want something a little more ritzy? Go for Cache downtown, or for Italian try Graffiti's. Barbecue? Can't go wrong with Whole Hog Cafe. And if you want an affordable lunch and the best sandwich of your life, try Jimmy's, right across from War Memorial Stadium, where the Razorbacks play once a year.

3. Bridges

This may seem like an odd reason to go to a city, but the bridges crossing the Arkansas River are stunning. Pictured above is Junction Bridge, a renovated railroad that now serves as a pedestrian bridge in downtown Little Rock that lights up in special patterns every night. Across the city there is also the pedestrian Two Rivers and Big Dam Bridges, which both promote exercise while giving people an easy way to admire their beautiful city.

4. Coffee

I know what you're thinking: isn't that just the same as food? Maybe, but Little Rock's collection of quirky coffee shops is so seemingly never-ending that it needs its own spot on the list. While there are many to choose from, my coffee shop pick is Mylo, which sits in the quirky Hillcrest neighborhood in midtown Little Rock.

5. Outdoors

I know—isn't Little Rock a city? But in addition to appreciating Little Rock by using the pedestrian bridges, you can also admire it by hiking up Pinnacle Mountain, as pictured above. It's a truly beautiful way for someone to experience the city and one of Arkansas's best state parks.

6. Downtown

Anyone can enjoy Little Rock's downtown. On Saturday mornings from May until September citizens can visit the Farmer's Market in the River Market Pavilion, and stop inside the pavilion to eat lunch from local vendors. Pictured above is Riverfront Park, which has playground equipment for the kids, a walking trail, and several permanent art sculptures free for anyone to admire. The best of Little Rock is downtown, with restaurants, fun, and plenty of history to admire surrounded by a bustling metropolis.

7. Revitalization

Little Rock is a city looking up. Its downtown, as I described it above, has seen renovation like no other, from the creation of the Creative Corridor on South Main Street to the revitalization of the River Market. The city gets some bad press for its violence (similarly to Memphis) but the growth its seen in the past decade has been mind blowing. Little Rock is worth going to see now, but I'm even more excited to see where it's going from here.

While I'm still excited to fully experience my new home, moving away has given me a new admiration for Little Rock. It's a city on the rise, and I like to think of it as a Memphis in miniature. So whatever you do, give Little Rock a chance and see what it has to offer.