7 Reasons to Start Watching the Groundbreaking Series 'Glow'

It's extremely moving, funny, and unabashedly a celebration of women.
32

If you are looking for your next fulfilling television experience, then look no closer to Netflix's original series, "Glow". "Glow" chronicles around the lives of a band of women who come together to star in a show about female wrestlers, the "Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling". While the concept seems out there and undoubtedly a tough sell, there's something about it that is magical and arguably one of the best new shows of 2017.

1. It’s developed by a female creative team.

The series was created by Liz Flahive and Carly Mensch. It’s also produced by Flahive, Mensch, and "Orange is the New Black" creator Jenji Kohan. Kohan also wrote episode six of series. Episodes are also written and directed primarily by women.

2. It’s inspired by the actual Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.

Not only is the show led creatively by women, it’s based on the actual badass women of 1980s who were female wrestlers. Flahive and Mensch got the idea after watching the documentary, "GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling". The documentary, along with the series, are currently streaming on Netflix.

3. It has a killer soundtrack.

Since its set in the 1980s, the underscoring for episodes is great. Featuring groups like The Go-Gos, Scandal, and Journey, not only does the content of the show shine, but so does its musical accompaniment. It also really helps harness in on the authenticity of the decade, making the era feel natural, and not so kitschy.

4. It allows for a flawed, unlikeable, but redeemable female protagonist.

Alison Brie plays the main character, Ruth, but she isn’t your typical protagonist. She’s a struggling actress who once she stumbles upon the audition for "GLOW" has a tendency to overact rubbing everyone the wrong way. While she can be humorous, even brave, and really a badass at times, she goes on quite a journey to get there, and it’s frankly refreshing to have a leading woman that seems so realistic.

5. It acknowledges and aims to work out of its stereotypes.

While the show of "Glow" being created within the show aims to progressive, it also honestly depicts the exploitation of these women. When male producers, writers, and directors come in, their aims are more to please the public and bring in the big bucks, not so much adhering to the women’s personas and ultimately, feelings. It’s nice to see a show that’s so self-aware and how the women question and even challenge the creative choices being made instead of submitting to them.

6. It is a women of color dominated cast.

Much like the actual show, the cast reflects women of all different shapes and sizes. Not only does it have a variety of women, but it doesn’t discourage women for what sets them apart from one another. It encourages this bonding of all different kinds of women coming together, and it’s a beautiful thing to see a show do that.

7. It's extremely moving, funny, and unabashedly a celebration of women.

If you’re looking for a show that does one of those things or all, then you’re in luck! A show like this is extremely rare, and it’s exactly the kind of thing we need right now. It fires off success on all cannons and you won’t be disappointed if you tune in. Plus, it’s only ten episodes, which feels all too short in that you’ll be wanting to see more after that amazing season finale.