7 Perks Of Having An Older Sibling

7 Perks Of Having An Older Sibling

7 Reasons for 7 Years

14
7 Perks Of Having An Older Sibling
Erin Hession

My 26-year-old sister is the golden child of the three Hession kids. Although she was a baby prodigy, she was the accident child. However, she made growing up so much easier. Jenny here is your shout out, much better than mom and John’s.

1. They were your parent’s guinea pig

They were the first kid in the family. For me, my parents had 7 years of trial and error before I came along. I think they had parenting down for babies. They also knew how to deal with teenage angst because they have seen it before. Your parents were child raising veterans all thanks to the experiment your older sibling was.

2. You know bands before they were big

I grew up on Bowling for Soup, Panic!, and Fall Out Boy. My sister was the punk hipster of all time. I now live for the pop punk classics that are “I Write Sins Not Tragedies”, “Sugar, We’re Goin Down”, and “1985”. You always had the coolest bands on your iPod shuffle before any of your friends.

3. You rarely repeated their mistakes

Your siblings were the ones to test your parent's waters. They found out what the boundaries are. The younger ones always knew what you could do and how to not get in trouble because the eldest learned through trial and error.

4. They helped you get on the good side of all teachers

Since my older sister was a teacher’s pet, I was never immediately on a teacher's bad side. They assumed I would be just as lovely as my sister. I always was, maybe not as smart, but I was a good kid. Even if your sibling was a trouble maker teachers will have hope that you aren't as bad. They’ll give you a chance to bring honor back to the family name.

5. They give the best advice

My sister has 7 years on me, so she knows quite a bit. She was always there to tell me what to do about bad friends or how to deal with my mom. She was always there when I needed her and I could always count on her to be on my side. Even if your sibling annoys you so much, you know they will be there in a heartbeat if you need them. Thanks, pumpkin head!

6. Hand me downs

Your siblings always kept you in style. Sorry if they are of the opposite gender, but hey maybe they still knew how to keep you looking fly. I remember getting that pile of clothes and being excited to wear some of the cool stuff my sister did. I still do!

7. They will always be there

They are blood. Relationships will change with time, but family will always be there. Especially older siblings because they were the ones to help raise you. Ask my sister, she complains about how she changed my diapers all the time, but hey maybe it made us closer!

Love you lots Jenny! Thanks for being the pioneer of the Hession kids!