7 Jukebox Musicals That Should Be Made Into Movies

With the sequel to "Mamma Mia" currently in theatres, here are a few more musical suggestions to shake up the box office.

122
Twyla Tharp

Jukebox musicals celebrate the discography of legendary musical artists while simultaneously depicting a whole new story. With eclectic casts of characters and vibrant settings, jukebox musicals have been a favorite for several Broadway audiences for decades.

Hollywood usually takes inspiration from Broadway, as film adaptations of musicals are consistently being brought into popular culture. With the sequel to "Mamma Mia" currently in theatres, here are a few more musical suggestions to shake up the box office.

1. "Million Dollar Quartet"

img.grouponcdn.com

This musical depicts an impromptu jam session of 50's rock artists that took place one December night at Sun Records Studios. The musical brotherhood between Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Johnny Cash comes to life as their greatest hits are reintroduced to audiences of various generations.

2. "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical"

cdn1.thr.com

The tumultuous personal life of singer-songwriter, Carole King, and her partnership with Gerry Goffin are both illustrated in this colorful jukebox musical. The show is decorated with classic pop tunes of the 1950's and 1960's as well as Carole King's solo album "Tapestry." We also learn about Carole King's significant contribution to the music industry as well as her significant songwriting career within midcentury America.

3. "Movin' Out"

www.twylatharp.org

This musical celebrates the catalog of rock artist, Billy Joel, illustrating a story about young adults and their experiences with the Vietnam War in the '60s. This jukebox musical is unique in which the characters do not sing the songs, but rather a rock band and pianist that are suspended above the stage. The dramatic rock ballet would be an enthralling cinematic piece if it were to be transformed into a film.

4. "Motown: The Musical"

i0.wp.com

Explore the rich history of the classic Motown sound as Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, and Smokey Robinson perform several top-chart hits. Based on the autobiography of Berry Gordy, "Motown the Musical" combines the dramatic and professional lives of several legendary musical artists.

5. "American Idiot"

i.ytimg.com

"American Idiot" depicts the lives of three dissatisfied young men, suffering collectively from suburban boredom, teenage angst, and parental frustrations. This jukebox musical is a sung-through stage adaptation of Green Day's rock opera "American Idiot." The punk rock band's catalog is a complementary soundtrack to the musical, as the show explores themes of individuality, freedom, and escape.

6. "All Shook Up"

www.ocregister.com

Based on the music of Elvis Presley, "All Shook Up," depicts the romantic upheavals of high schoolers in a small town. Based on William Shakespeare's play "Twelfth Night", this jukebox musical utilize only fifteen musicians in its orchestration. The vibrant personality of Elvis Presley is enhanced in "All Shook Up," exemplifying the need for a film adaptation.

7. "Escape To Margaritaville"

pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com

The easygoing attitude of Jimmy Buffet's tunes is brought to life in "Escape to Margaritaville." The musical depicts a wholesome love story between a bartender and workaholic on a small island in the Caribbean. The sandy and sunny atmosphere would make a beautiful film that we can vicariously vacation to.