7 Things To Look Forward To For Winter Break

Once finals are out of the way you'll be thinking, "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas."
27

I’ve found “getting into the Christmas spirit” a little difficult this year. My extent of Christmas spirit as of now is finally having snow on the ground, and randomly singing carols or Christmas songs around my apartment. Classes may be over for the semester, but finals are still in the way of our ticket home. By now, hopefully, most of your finals, if not all, are over. Regardless though, you can lift your spirits, and have something to look forward to with this list of activities to do over winter break.

1. Hang out with family

In my experiences, there is nothing like home. Yes, it can be hectic and crazy sometimes, but family is where I can feel most comfortable, most relaxed as myself. Seeing my supportive parents and having ridiculous conversations with my sisters is just what I need to celebrate the end of the semester and the end of the year.

2. Sleep

I have a horrendous sleep schedule right now. Though I need sleep and love it, I won’t allow myself to get any when I’m stressed. So, I’m hoping for a relaxing break, when I can lay in bed, drifting in-and-out of consciousness for an entire day. I mean, I’ve earned it…right?

3. See friends

Long distance friendships are hard, but the few times during the school year when you can hang out with old friends is a blessing. These people know you, and you don’t have to pretend to be something you’re not with them. You both understand that life gets busy, but also take the time to remain a part of each other’s life.

4. Snuggle with pets

Sometimes I feel like I miss my cat more than I miss my family. Sorry? The (usually) unconditional love of my cat is what I want to turn to most when stress tears threaten to fall. Being away from a pet is hard, so I can’t wait to smother my cat with love.

5. Read a book

This may not be a universal desire, but books are a perfect way to get away from your reality. If you need a break from your break or want to forget about the results of finals completely, lose yourself in a book. The best part is: you choose. You have a period of time when what you read won’t be determined by a professor.

6. Binge watch shows

I know this is a common thing to do in the process of finals, but think of how much more you could enjoy the show if you weren’t constantly thinking about that paper you need to write or that exam in a couple days. Little beats devoting yourself to entire seasons, or series, when it is your main focus. Talk about escapism!

7. Decorate

If you’re not ready for Christmas yet, you will be once you start decorating the tree, or maybe some cookies? Leave finals behind by surrounding yourself with ornaments, candles, cookies, and (if you’ve been good) presents. Enjoy something after the grueling work of finals.